Adventures in racism at the supermarket checkout

Yes, intersectionality is important, and white people so often want to make sure that classism also gets thrown into discussions of racism.

But really, I wonder, what does a black woman have to do to always be taken as Ms SUV? And why should she even have to do that (assuming she even can)?

10 Likes

I wish I could find the reference now, but a few months ago I remember reading a study to the effect that the spread of this idea actually normalizes low-level racism and serves to increase it.

11 Likes

Yes, sure, but itā€™s also not ā€œIā€™m not a racist, butā€ thatā€™s racist, itā€™s again what follows it. In situations involving race, both ā€œI hate to say it,ā€ and ā€œIā€™m not a racist, butā€ almost always precede some actually racist ish.

ETA: New (?) rule ā€“ If youā€™re ever about to say ā€œIā€™m not a racist, butā€ or ā€œI hate to say it, butā€, just donā€™t say it, nor what you were about to add afterward. Instead, stop and think about how youā€™ve just let social conditioning (i.e., stereotypes) do your thinking for you.

7 Likes

Or perhaps the grocery clerks action were racist with intent? There are always a ton of reasons of why certain actions of white folks are just merely mistakes, or unintended racism, orā€¦a hundred million more ways to explain why those three black mothers did not deserve to have a manager called to investigate why all three cards were declined. Is t really so hard to expect that any EBT user, white, black, et al, could be in possession of a faulty card or simply that the grocery storeā€™s connection rendered every electronic payment invalid? My head and face hurts!

I should pay for my groceries with an interest-bearing loan instead of money I actually have right now?

13 Likes

Sorry, but it had to be done.

4 Likes

This is a good example of why racism must be battled at a policy level. If the store had a policy that a manager would be called if a machine rejected a PIN a certain number of times, the cashierā€™s racism wouldnā€™t have as strong an effect.

9 Likes

Youā€™re lateā€¦ I posted that like 6 or 7 comments ago, though to @mcsnee. :wink:

I do love this thread alot.

4 Likes

Bottom line is credit cards offer better protection from fraud than debit. Credit cards are not linked directly to your bank and fraudsters who crack your PIN canā€™t drain your account.

Merchants want you to choose debit because it saves them money - not because it really offers anything to you as a customer.

If you pay off your credit balance every month (like you should be doing anyway), then credit transactions are a far better option.

8 Likes

Ok, yes I totally agree about the prefacing. But the second statement really makes the argument moot.

Actually, if you pay off your credit card monthly then youā€™re getting a 30 day interest free loan.

7 Likes

I want one! Can you snuggle up with it in the winter, instead of wearing a sweater?

2 Likes

You have to use your Personal PIN number at the automatic ATM machines!

10 Likes

Or you could just use cash for most daily purposes. You know how much youā€™re spending on the spot, and no chance of fraud of either variety.

4 Likes

Ya, saw it after. Didnā€™t show up in the replies for some reason. Oh well, can never post too many links to Hyperbole and a Half.

3 Likes

This is ā€œracistā€ only if the ā€œpeople like thatā€ belong to an identifiable race. And even then, it might be sexist or class-ist or tall-ist or overweight-ist or a sly reference to any other attribute that the set of people have in common.

Much of todayā€™s so-called "racism is not actually a reference to race, itā€™s a reference to economic class. We have enough examples of the mixing of races to realize that ā€œraceā€ does not exist (though that notion is far from universally accepted).

Unfortunately, for a number of reasons (slavery in the U.S. being just one), having darker skin is still highly correlated with being of poorer economic means. This unfortunate fact makes it dammed hard to distinguish true racism (against black people) from other run-of-the-mill prejudice.

4 Likes

Yeahā€¦ I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. Though being black is associated with being poor, being black still comes with its own set of problems that are not often entirely mitigated by class.

10 Likes

Yep. Just ask wealthy black person Chris Rock.

9 Likes

Among many others, Iā€™m sure. Iā€™m glad heā€™s documenting it for the world to see that him being rich and famous doesnā€™t mean he isnā€™t subject to profiling.

8 Likes