Afghanistan Pullout: The Best Biden Could Do, or Total Clusterfuck?

The way I respond to that:

“So when there is a terrorist attack against the United’s States, if the president is a Republican, we ignore all of their screw ups, scandals and outright criminal behavior and back them up unconditionally. But if the president is a Democrat, we push for immediate impeachment. Am I getting this right?”

15 Likes

I think the pullout was handled as best as it could have been handled. 122,000 were evacuated in the end, the number of casualties was lower than I feared it would have been, and outside of the airport the city and the country have not fallen into settling old scores and widespread pillaging as feared.

One think that I think surprised everyone, including the Taliban, is that the president and those loyal to him pulled out like they did. Not risking their lives in a futile gesture, basically acknowledging that the USA has screwed them, so they may as well bug out and leave the Taliban and their sponsors suddenly having to rush in to fill the gaps.

Everyone knew the Afghan army would eventually be defeated. It’s just amazing that no one calculated that they themselves would know that, and decide to not play cannon fodder like good little puppets.

5 Likes

Was Trump’s motivation to pull out of Afghanistan just to spite dead John McCain, who planned on being in the country for a thousand years or did Russia want us out of there and he was just making Putin happy? I don’t believe he ever thought about it in terms of the US’s best interests.

5 Likes

Because this is important…

5 Likes

Those Bearer Bonds are gone.

8 Likes

It’s still worth filing for them. One might have gone to the Oversized belt in some disused terminal at JFK…

3 Likes

“Fair and balanced” assessment of the subject:

8 Likes

Where was all the RW outrage when Trumpy abandoned the Kurds?

8 Likes

Busy reminiscing about Reagan leaving Lebanon?

Which was actually more like Biden leaving Afghanistan. Failed nonsensical mission; cut the cord.

Except Reagan will be praised.

6 Likes

$300,000,000 a day. Imagine what could have been done with that over 20 years.

14 Likes

They had Rep. Buddy Carter of GA’s 1st district on a local public radio show today and I kept yelling at the radio as he basically did that… He even said that if it had happened on Trump’s watch it would have gone smoothly, which…

Episode 1 Lol GIF by Portlandia

12 Likes

Was he in a coma for the entirety of 45’s term in office? Even the evil things he tried to do, he did incompetently.

8 Likes

There’s no way that number could be that high. $300MM a day for 20 years?

(Checks math).

Oh. Oh my God…

15 Likes

I did the same thing.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Ha, whodathunkit?!

I was half-expecting to see this out the window:

8 Likes

I hope she knows that people aren’t going to forget all the shitty things she’s done to further her career.

10 Likes

That’s not too surprising. She was one of those “Trump is too liberal!” types, wasn’t she?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Is there a German word for the feeling of discomfort one experiences upon learning that a completely loathsome sack of human waste just said something one completely agrees with?

7 Likes