After 17 years, luxury hotel lifts ban for man whose pepperoni brought disaster to his room

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/02/pepperoni-seagulls-and-a-luxu.html

13 Likes

Someone better make an Oscar-winning short film of this incident.

Ok Oscar-nominated. There might be a better film nominated that year.

17 Likes

Maybe the 17 year ban was really meant to be the lifetime of the seagulls

Untitled

52 Likes

Or at least a music video

32 Likes

No such thing as too much pepperoni brought disaster .

7 Likes

8 Likes

He may have been given a lighter “sentence” if he had been a huge rock star (with his entourage) and had completely trashed the room.

5 Likes

That is as funny as Neal Stephenson’s description of Randy Waterhouse’s ride in a Philippines Jeepney in Cryptonomicon!

5 Likes

I feel like it should be directed by Guy Ritchie, a la Snatch or Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, where the last act is where the story goes off the rails and its just chaos.

4 Likes

“That Burchill included a pound of Chris Brothers pepperoni with the letter as a peace offering may have had something to do with it too.”

Honestly, after that bit of driving trollies, I’m surprised they didn’t ban him for another 17.

23 Likes

the movie short better include the line “Mistakes were made,” too, because while he didn’t say it (according to the story, anyway), it’s just too perfect.

11 Likes

I think the phrase shitstorm is also apt for this story

25 Likes

29 Likes

9 Likes

agreed. that could be the name of the movie!

1 Like

Shitstorm At The Fairmont Empress Hotel

Directed by Guy Ritchie.

Who gets the starring role? I’d prefer it to be played with a straight man a la Leslie Neilsen vs someone playing up the absurdity of the story.

4 Likes

There was also this:

Burchill tried to dry the shoe with a hairdryer, and when his phone rang, distraction caused the hairdryer to plunge into a sink filled with water.

“I don’t know how much of the hotel’s power I knocked-out, but at that point I decided I needed help,” Burchill wrote.

16 Likes

It seems odd to mention that he’s a naval reservist.

1 Like

Whats odd about a reserve seamen?

5 Likes

Obviously you haven’t met too many Canadian Navy reservists.

2 Likes