After 35 years in Roswell, Elvis' jet sold for $430k

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/30/after-35-years-in-roswell-elv.html

1 Like

Elvis’ jet

well, one of them. I’m pretty sure the Lisa Marie is still across the street from Graceland, available to be toured for an upcharge on your ticket.

4 Likes

Elvis’ jet sold for $430k

Worth every penny, stale fried banana sangwich tossed in for free.

4 Likes

And here it is.

Goldfinger, on the other hand, flew a Jetstar.

5 Likes

I am not ashamed to admit that I happily paid that upcharge.

What shocked me is that Graceland is quite modestly sized by today’s standards.

4 Likes

I didn’t get to see the Lisa Marie because I wasn’t the one buying the ticket, unfortunately. I was maybe twelve at the time. but all the cars were still on the mansion’s grounds, so I have pics of his pink Caddy and his Stutzs. Nowadays his cars are a separate charge, too, and I think they’re over across the street by the plane? Anyway, if you expand my user-card, that’s me at the manse’s gate.

and yes, even as a kid in the 80s, I was expecting it to be bigger. Being nouveau riche, I bet Elvis himself would have built it bigger, if he’d have had it built, but he bought it from an old-money family. Having met a few old-money families in the ensuing years, they really are much classier than the noobs. Their homes were really nice but not especially big. These families had more money than god, but they didn’t care about projecting it. Unlike E, god bless 'im.

2 Likes

Fun side note- The little cafeteria attached to the car museum and gift shop?

Best goddamned pulled pork I’ve ever had in my life.

2 Likes

Considering he was THE King, I salute his choice of floor to ceiling shag rather than endangered species skins.

I did the full tour and enjoyed it very much… Certainly no Smithsonian , but was a neat look into how the guy rolled.

4 Likes

I was always wondering, does the tour of Graceland include the toilet he died on?

1 Like

When I was there, the second floor with his bedroom and bath was closed off because they said it was still a family living space. You got to tour the downstairs (safari room, TV room, billiard room, kitchen), the grounds, and a big outbuilding which I think had been a racquetball(?) court which had been turned into a museum of all his awards and a few iconic costumes.

This was around 15 years ago.

2 Likes

Yep, from the base of the main stairs, you could see up and there were maybe 2 doors, one of them for sure was the bathroom.

The idea that the family still uses the space … A house that busy and yet small, it doesn’t seem practical for that purpose. I can see a grounds keeper or someone living in an aux building on the grounds, but living in the main house? Unless they are really hard up, don’t think so.

1 Like

My suspicion is that they actually just wanted the bathroom off limits, but telling us that Lisa Marie still lives there part time is a good way to get the tourists all excited about the experience.

1 Like

Roswell???

Jay: You do know Elvis is dead, right?
Kay: No, Elvis is not dead. He just went home.

1 Like

yw

2 Likes

Stored in Roswell, huh? It sure looks like an alien spacecraft to me.

It was parked at Roswell when he traded it for something else.

3 Likes

Sticks to your ribs. And your gut. And your waist. And your hips, butt, thighs, chin, and other locations best not mentioned here.

The walls and ceiling don’t look like Elvis’ ‘style’ at all.
Shouldn’t there be some green polyester shag?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.