After Barr memo, Richard Pilger QUITS — top DOJ official in charge of voter fraud investigations

So if you had a crappy boss who gave you a useless and unjustified task that would demean you in public and with your industry colleagues, your response would be to stay on and try to do that job until you were inevitably fired rather than quit? Seems like a waste of time to me, but I suppose some people like to suffer needlessly.

Early on in my first career, a supervisor who was jealous and resentful that my skills and abilities were being noticed by others in the workplace tried to pull something similar to that with me to get me to either resign or set myself up for firing. I went to those other people and told them “look, I love working with you guys, but I have better ways to spend my time here than [doing empty and impossible BS tasks assigned only to me]. I’m seriously thinking of quitting.” Their response was “sit tight, we’ve got this”. A couple of days later and the BS tasks went away. Flash forward a couple of weeks later, and guess who was promoted above that crappy supervisor. Point being, statements and ultimatums made at the right time and place to the right audience can sometimes work better than what you’re proposing.

A worthless statement wouldn’t be making an impact in the news at exactly the point where the issue in general is being discussed. And while it serves to save his own face, that face in this case is one that also represents almost 30 years of doing his job with integrity.

My guess is that whoever replaces that toad Barr as Biden’s AG will ask Pilger to come back with a clear promise that he’ll be allowed to do his job as he has in the past. Losing someone with that kind of institutional knowledge is something no well-run organisation wants.

9 Likes

Potentially because it’s much more difficult to block him from testifying if he’s no longer a federal employee. If Trump is bound and determined to force this into court that could be pertinent.

It could also be that without people in the office that does these sorts of investigations, then it’ll stall out the attempt.

Ultimately the reporting is that Trump is forcing everyone out for pure spite. Lashing out at anyone who could potentially be blamed for his loss. So it’s likely this guy just resigned before it came to that. Staying to stymie only works if you don’t get fired because of it. Or before there’s anything to stymie to clear the path.

Esper purportedly had a letter of resignation written and in his desk so he could quit as soon as it became clear Trump was going to go after him. Trump just beat him to it. And Trump just kept talking about all the people he was going to fire during the campaign.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Barr was up to something. But Trump and the overall organization can’t really handle much more than spiteful Tantrums. For all their talk of the courts in this they don’t have a legal strategy and the guy in charge of that effort just got COVID and wasn’t even a lawyer.

3 Likes

Biden’s inauguration crowd won’t be bigger than Obama’s. But I’d make a bet it will be way bigger than Trumpism was.

2 Likes

We’re in the middle of a pandemic, so I doubt Biden is gonna a hold an inauguration with huge crowds.

9 Likes

Harshed my high. But on the brightside that’s not a hard crowd to beat.

Wherever more than 3 liberals gather some chucklehead will be there to post “I tHOughT wE wERe iN a PanDeMic?!”

5 Likes

It doesn’t make an IMPACT on the news, it just shows up on the news then disappears. It used to be having someone resign like that was a scandal. Now it’s meaningless. In fact it’s worse, because if he were there he might have been able to put his thumb on the scale, throw some sand in the gears, do SOMETHING to, if not stop, then at least stem the bleeding. Or report from the inside. Anything would be better than stepping down, because now he’s gone, he’ll be replaced with some rando lackey suck-up yesman, and NOTHING WILL HAVE CHANGED.

2 Likes

vultan

1 Like

Trump has appointed crackpots to all levels of the judicial branch. It’ll be luck of the draw,. Many of the ACA lawsuits seemed premised on similarly dubious assertions.

When does the shit hit the fan?
Jan 20th? Electoral College Vote? Not allowing transition team access? Not conceding once the result is clear?

That’s a serious question.
I worry that, like the last four years, we’ll slowly come to accept that, though not normal, each of these things is to be expected from Trump.

Maybe the mid-term elections will solve everything, right?

1 Like

should have stayed on and gotten himself fired.

And a benefits review that’s ah, unavailed otherwise.
I am otherwise failing at the world’s simplest decryption of the sitch, because the Barr change was removing “not” in the regs’ “should not ordinarily investigate [ahead of final voting reportage.]”

Apparently w.r.t. the John C. Keeney Award for Exceptional Integrity and Professionalism (via Nigerian reportage) the guy has it was NOT consistent to merely decide

• courts are doing the dick and balls on a skink in 2 months, who’s kidding who
  • I know how I can do the best job on this with a corresponding amount of attention from a 4 hours work season slice (and YouTube. and Social Distancing. Working out in fursuits.)

Points the J.D. program though, I guess.

3 Likes

Hopefully none of it is planned as well as the press conference at the Four Seasons.

I was surprised Bridenstine admitted he’d be replaced by the Biden admin (thereby implying he’s the next POTUS). I hadn’t read anything about the WH’s reaction, but I’d surmise he could be sacked a lot sooner than that.

At least we’ve figured out he’s not “Q”. </s>

3 Likes

Pilger is still a federal employee, he didn’t “quit” so much as demote himself

2 Likes

I doubt that’ll last long.

It still weakens claims of executive privelege and what have should it come to that. Since he won’t be directly involved in an investigation.

But like I said 90% of it is probably Trump burning shit down on his way out the door. He was likely already on the chopping block for not finding the fraud that was not there in 2016 like a good boy.

Trump is not a forward looking guy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.