After being fired by Disney for transphobic and antisemitic statements, Gina Carano's new movie has epically flopped

Twenty-four episodes, yes?

They could have Ben Kenobi for The Definitely-Not-A-Jedi’s Tale.

2 Likes

Conservatives are pointing to Disney’s Strange World as an example of “Go Woke, Go Broke.”

I saw the film (it was one I was looking forward to), and it didn’t “fail” because of “wokeness.” It failed because it was released in theatres and streaming at the same time, and because it was a mediocre movie. The movie itself couldn’t decide whether it wanted to be a diesel-punk sci-fi adventure, a family drama about intergenerational trauma, or an environmental parable; whether for younger kids or teen/adults.

It wasn’t the worst way to spend a couple hours, but it didn’t wow me the way Frozen and Encanto did.

These aren’t woke issues, though. Just that it didn’t seem to know what it wanted to be and so couldn’t lean into that for maximum effect.

9 Likes

Also, I think it needs that to be considered for an Oscar. [snort]

11 Likes

And to take the stink of “Direct to Video” off of it.

9 Likes

Slaps head. Totally forgot. Yeah, it was a good casting.

Though Pirates are fun in Star Wars.

5 Likes

Right, that movie was also poorly marketed.

The problem is when companies make a meh movie, a lot of time they either throw a lot of money into marketing, and hope to recoup the costs in the first few weeks, or they half ass/don’t even bother to market and just take the Loss.

7 Likes

Is it possible to discuss star wars shows in other threads and keep this one on-topic, which is not about star wars generally, but is about a bigot who just happened to get kicked out of a star wars project? This seems to happen any time the topic of bigotry and popular culture comes up, that the discussion ends up being about the franchise, and not about the bigotry and it’s impacts.

10 Likes

Go Anti-Woke, go broke anyway.

5 Likes

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

8 Likes

It was never going to have decent marketing because Daily Wire has no money for it and can’t rely on alternative distribution avenues.

Christian Fundamentalist exploitation film producers can rely on showing their films in church basements all over the country.

8 Likes

Strong agree! This is probably most of it. They consume media that constantly tells them they are the silent majority, ever since Nixon invented that idea, I guess. They also live in dying conservative small towns and such where everyone around them seemingly agrees with them (because the queers are hiding in such an environment and don’t dare fly flags or show bumper stickers for their beliefs).

25 Likes

Gina is a professional moron trapped in a phantom zone of ridiculousness. Knowing what her views are, why would she take on a job with DISNEY of all places and say out loud her controversial views opposite of Disney’s brand and majority target audience? There will be some problems.

Then when trouble comes she has the nerve to talk mess about Disney and its “woke” fans and act as if her new project is superior to where she was in the Star Wars franchise when she knows for a fact IT IS NOT. In the words of Bill Duke’s character in Menace to Society, “You know you done fucked up dont you!?”. And she still wont shut up about it, see first sentence.

8 Likes

I’m continually amused by that phrase. At least half the time I see it invoked the property in question does very well financially. I seem to recall a bunch of people saying that about Wakanda Forever, with it’s mainly female cast of darker skinned folks. And yeah… it didn’t quite manage a full billion at the box office. I guess that’s “going broke” these days.

15 Likes

I’d just rather there be less overt bigotry in the world, not more.

3 Likes

Obstinately denying reality is a defining feature of their tribe. Pick a topic, and topic! They will be consistently wrong.

5 Likes

As someone else pointed out, this post misses the context of the movie. The movie was behind the paywall - for “free” - for Daily Wire subscribers. They have approximately 1 million subscribers who shell out between $100 and $240 per year for their subscriptions and getting access to these movies is one of the “benefits” of subscribing. It looks like the Daily Wire put it in theaters for one day, perhaps so it could qualify for awards, but it was never intended for theatrical release. Everyone who wanted to watch it already could through their subscription.

It can be compared to this recent release starring AOC: AOC climate change documentary FLOPS - and brings in just $80 per theater during opening weekend  | Daily Mail Online.

3 Likes

I’d rather there be less bigotry period.

At least with the overt they become more likely to be shunned and pushed out of decent society.

4 Likes

It’s all about the money… so one would not be crazy to believe that the right-wingers would just feel it in their very bones and therefore play nice.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right. If it had been issued for general release, it surely would have grossed almost a thousand dollars!

Also, good catch on the AOC flop. As a professional actress, that has to be a real blow to her career.

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

25 Likes

Those Real ‘Muricans sure do love the Traitor Team that really attacked and killed Americans

11 Likes