After decades of corporate theft, Spinal Tap is finally getting paid by Universal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/hello-cleveland.html

8 Likes
47 Likes

Came here looking for “Gimme Some Money” was not disappointed.

Thanks @KathyPartdeux

25 Likes

It’s like, how much more black could this be and the answer is none. None more black.

15 Likes

Figuring out the drummer royalties is going to be a real headache.

50 Likes

I’m turning it up to 11, right now.

24 Likes

Saw them in Cleveland in 1992. When they came out on stage, David St. Hubbins thrust his fist in the air and yelled out “Hello, Cleveland!” The place went bugshit. It was awesome.

18 Likes

I was a little young to see the movie when it was released, but I heard The Majesty of Rock on the radio and bought their second album. I later bought the soundtrack to the movie. That would have been between 1989 and 2006, when they had worldwide sales of $98. If I recall it was a cassette tape priced around $10. I guess that means I’m one of ten people in the world who bought that tape during that 18 years period. I never new what a rarity I was.

(Also, check out the wikipedia page for Spinal Tap. It’s a hilarious mess of headers separating the real and the fictional history of the band)

13 Likes

I’m asking questions like these right now.

5 Likes

That is some pretty impressive commitment to character.

19 Likes

It’s a testament to the corruption and thievery inherent in the music industry that Universal started screwing over fictional musicians.

Congratulations to the Tap!

20 Likes

I’m just dreaming that they one day make a sequel that features this as a heavy plot element.

12 Likes

Ditto. And, props on being the very first comment with it.

1 Like

These go to 11.

3 Likes

Go~oat Bo~oy!

oh yeah turn those residuals up to 11

3 Likes

I wonder what a foil-wrapped cucumber would look like on the backscatter scanners…

1 Like

My car has a 6-speed manual transmission. I’ve owned it for years, and I still grin every time I shift into 6th.

I get it. Going to 11 is seriously better than simply making 10 louder.

6 Likes

It’s like, how much more in the black could this be? And the answer is none. None more in the black.

3 Likes

That dude embedded in the GIF in this post is (or used to be?) a member of the freaking British House of Lords, no joke.

1 Like