Watch famed Spinal Tap play with Elvis Costello

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/30/watch-famed-spinal-tap-play-wi.html

5 Likes

What happened to the drummer?

14 Likes

ezgif-4-921898f3ba87

Spinal Tap’s drummers don’t last very long…

11 Likes

SY445

12 Likes

“…Authorities said, best leave it unsolved.”

11 Likes

“We’re not really sure whose vomit it was…”

11 Likes

David St. Hubbins:
It’s such a fine line between stupid, and clever.

7 Likes

Many moons ago I worked with a guy who said that the first time he watched this was on VHS and he was really stoned. He told me that he turned to his friend and said “dude, these guys suck!”

2 Likes

That is a thing of beauty right there.

2 Likes

Years before I saw the movie, I had seen Spinal Tap on Saturday Night Live and thought, “What is Lenny from Laverne and Shirley doing there?”

3 Likes

Now that’s just unfair. To both the weed and the band.

1 Like

I kept looking for Mick Shrimpton (possibly one of the best names in all of rock’n’roll!)

1 Like

Finally showed the film to my kids at one point last year. I regarded it as an important part of my parental education duties, on a par with “the talk” about zygotes and private parts.

They loved it, of course.

5 Likes

I first saw Spinal Tap with my mother when I was … oh maybe 9 years old. Even though I didn’t get half of the jokes, I still found it to be incredibly enjoyable. (And it was at that time I learned that you could get an R rating without violence or nudity.) Even now some 30+ years later I still find new things to laugh at on subsequent rewatches.

5 Likes

Accidents will happen.

3 Likes

One of the wonderful things about the DVD is that it has a commentary track – where the band comments in character. It’s nearly as funny as the film itself.

5 Likes

Key of B quiet :smiley:

I’m gonna have to steal that one

1 Like

It’s pretty impressive how well this has held up over time.

2 Likes

I agree!

I was just thinking about the various plot points, and even now so much of it could be understandable and relevant to this day. The rise and fall of the once-popular (but never truly great) group unable or unwilling to evolve with the times, the self-important band members oblivious to their own pretensions, the asshole record executives, the desperate and failed attempt at reinvention by jumping head-first into another genre, and the accidental revival by gaining unexpected and new found popularity in a foreign market.

It just shows that time may pass, but the music industry is the Same Old Shit now as it was back then.

I last saw it maybe 6 months or so and I’d say that by and large it has definitely aged well, unlike so many other movies (especially comedies) of that era.

1 Like

Definitely.
If you’ve never seen this (real) documentary, I highly recommend it. Talking about Spinal Tap made me think about this. Not really a metal fan, but the movie is great.

2 Likes