Spinal Tap returns!

Originally published at: Spinal Tap returns! | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Reiner has only gone on the RHLSTP podcast to plug his 10-part JFK assassination podcast. He mentioned the Spinal Tap sequel in passing.

4 Likes

Oh man these guys are pushing 80 years old. I am excited and mystified as to what the story will be.

Harry Shearer is always a treat, and he’s the guy everybody knows but few can name. Especially his voice. His radio show / podcast Le Show is worth listening to.

15 Likes

Pleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuck…

15 Likes

Hopefully, with a parade of famous drummers.

11 Likes

Spinal Tap Drummer auditions. Featuring Mick Fleetwood in a fireproof suit!

8 Likes

They could have done something new, but with a whole bunch of gen X with our wallets open, why would they bother with things like ideas.

1 Like

Considering how many older bands still tour and some of them even release new stuff no one really listens to, I feel like there is a lot of stuff to satirize.

12 Likes

Garth Brooks . . . or Chris Gaines?
08-04--gaines--caress

5 Likes

I suspect that their advanced age will be the core premise. Taking into account other superannuated bands like the Rolling Stones, the gags will almost write themselves (and doubtless be hilarious).

7 Likes

I’ve read elsewhere the plot-idea is that the no-longer-active band is forced to re-unite due to contract obligations and perform one last concert together.

8 Likes

I was literally laughing about AARP sponsoring a Rolling Stones tour when this popped up. It was so close I briefly wondered if it’s even possible to satirize the state of rock and roll now. And yet one of the fun things about Spinal Tap is how many of the jokes are inspired by actual events. I’m not sure how many rock stars, when asked about a particular scene, have said, “That’s not funny, it happened to us!” but it’s a lot.

So I trust these guys to still be able to take reality and crank it up to eleven.

7 Likes

Harry turns 80 on Dec. 23 (hey, that’s Festivus!). The other two still have a few years…

Seconded.

6 Likes

I hope this doesn’t turn out to be a classic illustration of “Be careful what you wish for”.

Oh wow. I wonder how many stars will get to play the drummer, briefly.

2 Likes

In a world where “The Beatles” just released another song, literally anything is possible.

Season 3 Guitar GIF by The Simpsons

2 Likes

… band is forced to re-unite due to contract obligations …

Which is also true; if I correctly recall the terms of the contract with the movie studios.
They must appear as Spinal Tap every few years or lose the rights.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.