After denial, Trump says he's considering dumping migrants in sanctuary cities

What other president has ever just taken a shit on one of the states of the fucking union they preside over? WTactualF with this clown?

14 Likes

Oh, that’s because trump thinks being the president is the same as being CEO.

In american capitalism, if any department underperforms or isn’t “onboard” enough then you fire people until it works better.

He’s very upset he can’t just fire america into being loving sycophants.

17 Likes

That’s the problem - running a society isn’t like running a business. This is something those, “but he should run the country like a business” people don’t get.

16 Likes

Not only that, but even if it was, he’s shit at running businesses.

17 Likes

I’m not sure what the hell he’s talking about. In order to send them to sanctuary cities, he has to give them legal status. That’s something from work visas to citizenship. Once they have that status, they can move around as they wish. Sanctuary cities will gladly take them in, but there’s no legal way to keep them there.

18 Likes

I think that’s kind of the point.

“You won’t let me use concentration camps? Fine, you house and feed them and deal with all the crimes we know they’ll commit, and we’ll come back and rip them from those homes once their deportation paperwork is done.”

He’s never been planning to let them stay.

18 Likes

Then he’d be breaking both US and International law…oh, right, he does that every damn day.

16 Likes

Doesn’t really matter considering how much he sucks at both.

12 Likes

Sounds like a plan (and yes, I’ve spent a lot of time upstate and I suppose there’s probably some room for improvement when it comes to diversity). But here’s the thing: NYC isn’t overwhelmed. Not remotely.

Yeah, housing is too expensive and the subway needs some work, but come on - 800,000+ people take the 7 train (my line that takes people from northern Queens into midtown) every day. The notion that a few thousand additional immigrants is somehow going to send us into a panic is ludicrous. I doubt people would even notice. In fact, based on all of the “Help Wanted” signs in storefronts in my neighborhood, I’d think we could put them to use pretty quickly.

7 Likes

You’re totally right. I have the privilege of coming down to the city fairly often for work and it always impresses me; the infrastructure and sheer variety of people are so wonderful. NY has long been a place where people seeking a better life from afar have found themselves a toehold in America, there’s no need to change that now.

2 Likes

It’s basic economics. There more consumers you have, the more you will sell, the more the economy grows. Immigration is the simplest and fastest way to grow the economy. There are some growing pains along the way, but those could be mitigated with some planning.

6 Likes

That’s a question to which he’s thus far been reluctant to give straight and specific reality-based answers.

12 Likes

That made me think of the connection between the Twilight Zone and Peele’s latest movie (the show inspiring the movie and his way of approaching material being symphonious with the show), and how he’d described his previous film as a “social thriller” but claimed this one was going to be a straightforward horror movie. Except when it came out, everyone said, “Nope, it’s also a series of metaphors about the black experience…” Which makes me think: the Twilight Zone was already here, it was just unevenly distributed. Now everyone gets to live in it, too.

9 Likes

But also he sees the parts of America that didn’t vote for him as a competing business (and you know what you do with those…). So he makes two fundamental errors.

OK, three fundamental errors.

More than that - most of the country is seeing its working-age population shrinking. They desperately need more people just to avoid economic ruin, and the only way it’s happening is via immigration. Ironically, those aren’t the places where Trump wants to send people…
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/09/upshot/trump-america-full-or-emptying.html

One can’t blame him, really. The answer is “obvious” if one is sufficiently racist, but unable to be communicated to one who is not.

13 Likes

Doesn’t that assume, that the goal is and SHOULD be constant growth instead of something more stable. The consumerist capitalist economy gives us some good things (culture has especially benefited by more people being able to access audiences and markets, giving us a far more democratic culture than in the past). But given the environmental impact of consumerist, industrialized capitalism that demands constant growth instead of some balancing between our needs/wants and the need to preserve our planet and to ensure we can all live with some dignity.

14 Likes

Even the repukicons know its all BS designed to draw attention to the illegitimate bastard in the white house.

5 Likes

Please send them here. I know our cowardly city council has only declared itself a welcoming city and hasn’t gone full sanctuary, but that should be enough for some new neighbors. Please.

3 Likes

Oh, I hope he’s not claiming that, because Us only works as an allegory; as a straight up horror narrative, it completely misses the mark.

3 Likes

I think that the parable of the briar patch (as depicted in the Uncle Remus stories) is pretty pertinent here, though. You’ve got dozens of sanctuary cities rolling their eyes at this “threat” and saying “oh no, whatever you do, don’t send us immigrants!

He admitted it was basically a red herring – Peele had been saying that Us wasn’t as oblique or hard-to-categorize as Get Out was, and had been designed as more of a genre movie, a classic horror flick. Of course, being Jordan Peele, it’s an allegory wrapped in a ribbon of horror.

5 Likes

Wait, did you just suggest Trump interact with anything even remotely “reality based?” :joy::rofl::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::sweat_smile::laughing::open_mouth::disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes