After denial, Trump says he's considering dumping migrants in sanctuary cities

[Citation Needed.]

13 Likes

(my governor too, so howdy neighbor! posting here for the folks outside of Texas who may be interested)

Among the Texas sanctuary cities I heard about, and I wish this source had a date:
http://www.apsanlaw.com/law-246.List-of-Sanctuary-cities.html

El Paso… its sentiment is pro-sanctuary, March 2018

Dallas-Fort Worth was still trying to make up its mind, last I heard.

Austin (of course)… its sentiment is still pro-sanctuary.

Houston… Here’s the mayor of the largest city in Texas and the fourth largest city in the U.S. publicly appearing alongside regular folks in favor of sanctuary cities:
https://www.chron.com/news/politics/houston/article/Turner-joins-SB4-protesters-outside-City-Hall-12753655.php

San Antonio, November 2018

Abbott-Paxton anti-sanctuary plan for 2018…

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/5th-Circuit-upholds-Texas-sanctuary-cities-law-12751213.php

aaaaaaand at end of last year, the 5th Circuit Court December 2018
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Appeals-court-tosses-Texas-pre-emptive-lawsuit-13463962.php

So many degrees of cooperation.
It’s going to be a real education to watch it unfold this year.
We live in interesting times.

February 2019 looked like pro-sanctuary people have not given up:

I quake in my worn out boots wondering if Texas is going to be one way we find out whether [what remains of] the rule of constitutional law is still alive and well in the U.S. (The Patriot Acts I and II ripped some big holes in the U.S. Constitution already.)

Texas is one hell of a crucible.

14 Likes

Why check? Those cities are bastions of crafty liberal coastal elites trying to spread their alien ideas of diversity to good honest Real Americans™ in the Heartland. This is exactly why the executive branch is trying to weaponise public policy against places that don’t support its push for an ethnostate, which is one of the ways that political opposition is always dealt with in healthy Western democracies.

14 Likes

Visit the Trump netty!

It needs more gold though.

8 Likes

A reminder that co-opting “capital vs labour” rhetoric and turning it into the more nebulous “elites vs the common man” is an old trick with right-wing populists who are pushing discriminatory ethnostates and other horrible ideas. Here they are in Finland, shifting the same tactic to use it against environmentalists:

It’s a trick that won’t work here on BB, where people who know their history will point out its use every time.

15 Likes

But the point of this move is, everyone can see that these rich liberal cities, like Malibu, get all the benefits of being an ethnostate by using their crafty tricks to keep out non-whites. Malibu is 89% white, despite being in LA County, which is 49% white. Obviously Malibu is not experiencing the diversity that’s all around it, and I pointed out all the crafty tricks that such liberal white enclaves do, in fact, use to keep out that diversity, while they preach how great diversity is and they vote for politicians who are going to bring a lot more diversity here, just not to Malibu.
That’s what the president, or more likely Steven Miller, is bringing up with this driving trollies, because Steven Miller grew up exactly in Santa Monica which is brilliant at these tricks.

The point of this move is to attempt by the regime to punish political opponents (or to be seen attempting to do so by its Know-Nothing base). Those who advocate for discriminatory ethnostates seem to believe that sacrificing liberal-democratic norms in the U.S. is worth it (understandably so, because in practical terms to turn this country into one or more formal ethnostates would require severely authoritarian measures).

As for Steven Miller, he’s yet another right-wing bigot who never got over being mocked for his edgelord views in high school and is now exacting his revenge on the liberal “cool kids”. But in your view the liberal coastal elites deserve all this driving trollies from the White House because they’re supposedly hypocrites when it comes to racial diversity in their communities.

Malibu is 89% white because income and wealth in this country are highly correlated with race. Wealthy white liberals in late-stage capitalist America really don’t give a damn about the race of someone who lives in their enclaves as long as he has the money to buy a house or rent a market-rate apartment there. In contrast, it’s wealthy (and middle-class) white conservatives who feel they have to enact tricky policies to specifically preclude racial diversity in their communities.

When local residents at Santa Monica city council meetings expressed concern about a transit line bringing in the “wrong element”, they were talking primarily about economic (and related) social class. When local residents in Kingman, AZ worry about a mosque bringing in the “wrong element”, they’re talking primarily about race and religion (Sacha Baron Cohen did a prank there, portraying a caricature version of a liberal diversity advocate to drive home the point).

tl;dr version: a right-wing populist narrative isn’t going to work here. We can smell that BS from a mile off.

21 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 12 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Hey, you leave the fine hair of The Unknown Hinson outta trumpland insults, lol

2 Likes

Since the Bre’r Rabbit stories are oral tales, your quibble here doesn’t even make sense. There is no definitive text, and if there were, a racist appropriation would not be it.

5 Likes

Agreed.

Posting anything from Song of the fucking South is not only incredibly off topic; it’s in poor taste, and passively supports racist bullshit.

8 Likes

So, no, you’ve got nothing, except maybe a chip on your shoulder for some wealthy California towns.

NIMBYism isn’t limited to Malibu. The ultimate NIMBYism are the isolationist, racist, borderline-genocidal policies you’ve espoused since you first started posting here.

Please don’t attribute to others the fearful, hateful feelings you hold towards people who aren’t like you. Just because you feel that way (based on the things you’ve written in these pages) doesn’t mean most, or even some, feel the same way.

17 Likes

There are benefits?

13 Likes

This is good though, win-win.
Sanctuary cities get more migrants, more prosperity, and a bigger chunk of the countries tax base and little Stevie gets to feel like some kind of a hero among assholes.
On the other side we can all be a little less fearful that he is some kind of an evil criminal mastermind.

4 Likes

Except in reality they have. Cities all around the country have responded to Trump’s “threat” by explicitly saying that they’d welcome the immigrants.

Confirmed.

15 Likes

I see Boing Boing is still platforming JJ’s “racial exclusion” arguments

Fine people on both sides, somebody said :disappointed:

13 Likes

Right. Next!

2 Likes

There’s so much to unpack here, I just can’t even.

11 Likes

I’m just now getting around to watching Jordan Peele’s Twilight Zone; and each time he gets to the bit about “entering the Twilight Zone,” I think to myself;

"ʙʀᴏ, ɪ’ᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ʜᴇʀᴇ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛᴡᴏ ʏᴇᴀʀꜱ, ᴀʟʀᴇᴀᴅʏ…"

17 Likes

Adam Best is bae

11 Likes