After denial, Trump says he's considering dumping migrants in sanctuary cities

Seems like a perfect solution actually.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this. However, in my area, there are many retail/ service job listings alongside the ag work in the county paper, and I’ve seen plenty of “help wanted” signs just while out and about. If these migrants arrive and NYS makes any sort of paperwork non-intrusive it could work out really well. At least I’m optimistic that it would be so.

3 Likes

I MADE POOPY IN MY PANTS

3 Likes

Yeah, that, but also more specific. What’s a kakistocracy if the ruler is also just fuckin’ evil? Malikakistocracy?

10 Likes

Easy for you to say :wink:

6 Likes

Possibly he speaks German, so…sure.

1 Like

Keep in mind that if they’re doing this, it’s because they believe that this is the equivalent of loosing entire gangs dangerous, violent criminals and that once people see the uptick in crimes, they will plead with Trump to take these people away again.

Look for families to be broken up, and not allowed to leave their new cities to reunite. Look for increased propaganda surrounding crimes, especially crimes committed by people with non-English names, to be drummed up as “immigrant crimes”, even if the accused is 3rd generation born in the States. Look for increased racist attacks and provocations.

I know it’s tempting to say “har, har, dumbest idea ever”, but keep in mind that racist cruelty is the one thing this admin has been incredibly good at. Kirstjen Nielsen had no problems ripping families apart and keeping kids in cages or losing them in shady adoption systems, yet they pushed her out for not being cruel enough.

Do not trust these fuckers one bit.

24 Likes

When asked to comment, Miller replied ‘mmmpfffffhh mrrrrrggggg mffmphhh’

(sound of gimp suit being unzipped)

2 Likes

That was literally the first metaphor that came to my mind: “Oh no Br’er Fox! Please, I beg, don’t send me those scary foreigners!”

But I’m sure Trump and cronies will go to every effort to try and make it suck.

Even if you’re starving, it may be more trouble than help if someone pours a pot of soup over your head.

3 Likes

If they pay taxes and contribute to the system I don’t see the issue - don’t these cities welcome the culture and people?

2 Likes

Rich white liberal areas like Malibu are ideal places for settling asylum seekers. Malibu has great schools, great public infrastructure, strong city finances, and a population that welcomes migrants, all things that these refugees need and that Yuma AZ does not have. These asylum seekers who are being allowed in are mostly families with children, so they will not be immediately working, and their children should be placed in school systems which are good, and which could benefit from having more diversity. Again, Malibu and such places would be ideal.
The absolutely wrong place is dropping them off at a bus station in Yuma.
If we’re going to take these people in, we need to give them the level of care we would extend to our own people, and that does not mean dropping families off with no money, no income, and nothing else, at bus stations in Yuma.
Really tough to argue against any of this without bringing up arguments that these asylum seekers are a burden in any way.

3 Likes

They say one of the reasons Steve Bannon got fired was people calling him “President Bannon”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/opinion/president-bannon.html

Bannon was an influential voice inside the White House, feeding and encouraging Trump’s nationalist and populist instincts.

In the process, he garnered an infamous reputation as a puppet master pulling the strings in the Oval Office, with pop culture portrayals ranging from the moniker “President Bannon” to his depiction as the grim reaper on “Saturday Night Live.” Those portrayals – coupled with a Time Magazine cover that declared him “the great manipulator” – often angered Trump, who chafes at being outshined.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/politics/steve-bannon-white-house/index.html

Accordingly, it seems, slenderman should be referred to as “President Miller” from now on :+1:

13 Likes

Except that’s the point, they won’t. These rich liberal cities are renowned for their prowess in fighting against building homeless shelters, transit links, unified school districts, anything that will make them deal with the people they say they love so much. Super-liberal Hidden Hills, California, for example, has a gate and only residents can come in, and the cheapest home there is in the millions of dollars, and there are of course no homeless people and no migrants and no refugees and almost no non-whites there. Hidden Hills wants refugees, yes, in someone else’s neighborhood. I would love to see Hidden Hills forced to set up a homeless shelter and a refugee center. Hillary won Hidden Hills 61 to 39.

[Citation needed]

There are 8 states that are sanctuaries for undocumented immigrants. There are over 100 counties. You have no clue what you are talking about.

17 Likes

Trump isn’t talking about dropping these people off in Bakersfield, or impoverished Mendota, or similar, which are in a sanctuary state. No, he’s talking about Marin, Malibu, SF, the very rich and very liberal places that hate him so much.

I live in a very rich, very white, very liberal city and I watch every day how effective they are at fighting, in very subtle ways, against homeless shelters, transit, anything that would bring the wrong people into their little world, while at the same time saying how awful it is that Trump wants to enforce our immigration laws. These type of areas don’t come out and say, “we hate homeless people”. No. They say, we need an environmental impact study, or maybe it’s going to damage some important cultural thing, or whatever. One of the most common and effective strategies they have is to lobby hard to get the undesirables located somewhere else and on someone other taxpayers’ budget, and they get to claim they want to “help” people when what they really want is to relocate them. One of the most hilarious cases was recently in extremely liberal Hawaii where some residents are fighting against homeless encampments, not because they don’t like the homeless (heaven forbid!), but because the homeless were disturbing some rocks that the native Hawaiians might have put there some time in the past, and maybe bothering a special “lineage” of native shrimp and those are the reasons the homeless need to go somewhere else. Save the native rocks! Save that lineage of shrimp!

3 Likes

Again, what the hell are you talking about? Sanctuary cities have literally signed up to accept immigrants. You didn’t actually respond to that question, and instead went off on a tangent rant about homeless. That’s not the topic or the question. Have you asked the Malibu city council if they will take in asylum seekers? Have they put out a statement? How about Marin? SF? No?

Maybe don’t assume what other people will do to help. Minneapolis, as cited above, took in 80,000 refugees from Somalia in the 80s and 90s. I know the metro area I live in will take in as many as needed to get them out of ICE concentration camps.

So go project your own hatred somewhere else. We’re full.

22 Likes

And that’s exactly the point I’m attempting to make. I bet Malibu’s city council would put out such a statement, just like they put up a big sign declaring themselves a “sanctuary city”, even though no illegal immigrant can afford to live there. Yeah they would be happy to make a grand statement welcoming refugees. My point is they make statements like that all the time, and then they follow up with very clever and subtle ways of making sure it doesn’t happen.
Heavens no, you can’t build a shelter there, that’s the habitat of the California spotted dunes lizard! And no, that hillside is a no-go, here’s a paper we found by an explorer 150 years ago that says the Chumash considered that to be a sacred burial ground! Ah this spot is perfect, but look at our building codes that regulate multifamily institutional living spaces, they must have swimming pools, air conditioned parking structures, and a helipad in case of emergency! Better get in your application to the FAA for the helipad permit, I heard that takes several years to get approved. We really want to build that shelter and we tried everything but it just isn’t working here in Malibu! But try Mendota, I think it might work out there.
Yes you are right about Minnesota btw, they did sincerely welcome refugees, and they are not sophisticated fighters like the people of Malibu. But it’s not Minnesota that Trump is talking about here.
I’m sure Steven Miller is thinking of his native Santa Monica: super liberal, rich, white, and extremely skilled in the art of sounding virtuous while finding very subtle ways of blocking any such projects from happening, especially environmental protections and building codes that regulate the wrong kind of buildings (apartments, multi-family, institutional). Just the perfect place for refugees they can’t refuse.

Of course- the New York City Council can just pass a Law designating the lobby of Trump Tower as a public urinal.

No facilities required.

He’s required to make part of the building public space - it’s a small tweak.

“Under New York City zoning code, developers are given permission to add more floors or density than the current zoning allows as long as they include space that can be utilized by the public, an agreement known as publicly owned private space.

In the late 1970s, Trump agreed to add restrooms, two upper-level public gardens, and an atrium with a 22-foot long stone bench so he could build 20 more floors onto the-then 38-story building.

But like many other high-end buildings in the city whose developers make this deal, the amenities eventually fall into disrepair or end up being inaccessible to the public.

In 2015, Trump was fined $10,000 after his lawyers didn’t turn up for a court hearing on the disappearance of the atrium bench and the sales counter that had replaced it.”

Maybe make the front wall an approved urination location as well. Be a hell of a tourist destination.

22 Likes

Difficulty: This won’t be implemented before the election. They’re announcing it now, which means that a court case will occur shortly. The suit will likely result in an injunction preventing Little Donnie from ever truly implementing his plan.

I’d love to have Donnie drop off hundreds of migrants in my city, but even I am repulsed by the idea of using humans as political pawns.

2 Likes

at this point i have to ask if you even know what a so-called “sanctuary city” even is? that isn’t necessarily surprising since many of those most opposed to them don’t seem to understand what they are either. my governor, greg abbott, seems to think that if the police of a city aren’t voluntarily working for ice it makes a city a sanctuary city. by his definition most of the cities over 100,000 population in texas are. on the other hand, if you stick to the original definition which runs along the lines of a city that refuses to cooperate with ice in any way then there aren’t any. if 45 is using a definition as flexible as abbott is almost any city could be the object of his tantrums.

by the strict definition you’ve got places like detroit, new orleans, baltimore, new york city, chicago, atlanta, miami, boulder, los angeles, among several others. so how are you defining it?

6 Likes