After DNC Chair's tell-all book, Elizabeth Warren proclaims 2016 primary was "rigged"

I don’t think nefarious is the right word, but self-serving is. I mean, it’s not like she spoke up about this sooner. Looks like she’s throwing Clinton under the bus after belatedly coming to the realization of who the future of the Democratic Party in an effort to curry favour with them. Now this has turned the party into disarray and she can try and step in to find her place in a party that previously had none for her. Great for getting her a job, not so great for the rest of us.

6 Likes

What’s sad is the Native community felt really angered and betrayed by Elizabeth Warren’s false claims to a Native American heritage. One more of those “oh white people, for fuck’s sake, no, you don’t have Cherokee blood, please stop saying that…” moments.

I don’t understand the urge to claim native blood. Does it make them harken back to a romantic, simpler past? Does it make them feel special and kind of sauvage?

My response is always: you want to claim native ancestry without documentation or proof? Then please quit your job, give away all your money, dump your healthcare, move to some small isolated rural community and try to eek out a living. Oh, and try not to get murdered by white cops and/or rapists.

/rant

As for “corruption and rigging in the DNC…”

OMG POLITICIANS DOING …POLITICAL… SHIT AND STUFF!!! Stop everything!

7 Likes

Horse shit. That is the lamest comparison - that Brazile’s expose is somehow equivalent to past attacks by the GOP and other right wing factions. Why anybody would need to pile on Clinton at this point, except maybe to just tell the truth, is beyond me. There are no stakes here any more. Clinton is not going to be president. And you are going to roll out the “Vast Right Wing Conspiracy” card like HRC did for Bills bj?

We all know that the DNC was collaborating with the Clinton campaign, all that came out during the campaign. The fact that this was not cause for Clinton to step down and that it was completely denied and ignored only reinforces that Brazile is likely telling the truth.

Clinton was cheating, at best operating under a scandalous level of entitlement with a frightening disregard for democracy. Probably the only tiny bright side of a Trump presidency is that we did not have to have Clinton as president.

Time for the Dems to swallow their medicine. Clinton was a cheater, she lost a race that she had no business losing, and the DNC leadership and her are to blame and they all have to GO. Cause I know I’m not voting for them ever again, and if they keep it up they are going to keep on losing.

12 Likes

From what she’s said, her family was always told that her great-grandmother was Cherokee, and that it was part of their family background. But without documentation she can’t prove it, though it was apparently important to her family and how they saw themselves.

There’s zero evidence that she ever took any benefit, financially or otherwise, from her claim of ancestry, and you don’t have proof she isn’t.

I’m as white as they come and I have native ancestry. Many people do.

15 Likes

You might be surprised to learn Bernie Sanders has never been and is still not a member of the Democratic Party.

9 Likes

In no way was Clinton “cheating.” That’s genuinely silly.

She won the popular vote by a wide margin. She lost on a technicality.

That’ll show 'em. Don’t vote for any candidates no matter what!

10 Likes

You might be surprised to learn Bernie Sanders has never been and is still not a member of the Democratic Party.

I’m not. You might be surprised to learn that the two party system is hardly inclusive of what the vast majority of people actually want.

16 Likes

Rationalize it as you want. Clinton campaign was not supposed to be coordinating efforts with the DNC. I call that Cheating. You forgot to capitalize it.

Really. Well almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I never said “no matter what”. I said CHANGE OF LEADERSHIP.

7 Likes

So you’re OK with the DNC violating its own rules and charter to select a candidate, then? Please feel free to inform us all why, exactly, we bother with primaries, if that’s the case?

No, even if Hillary was THIRTY times as popular as Bernie, this crap isn’t even remotely OK. No amount of armwaving and insistence is going to change that.

11 Likes

I really can’t take such claims seriously – has something to do with established precedence of white people literally stealing EVERYTHING from Native people, including their identities. Hell, born and bred wypipo have even established their own “native tribes” – I guess for the feelz and tax incentives?

We’re going off-topic here, but I would urge people with family stories of native heritage to go the extra step and get DNA tested. It might clarify things and possibly finally end this notion of some kind of long lost Cherokee princess in their lineage which is kind of creepy.

3 Likes

Instant fail. He registered as a Democrat, as required by DNC rules, to run. He then left the party afterwards.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a technicality. A technicality is a small detail. The Electoral College is the established system, with clear rules and everyone reported that Trump won because of said rules. An “archaic and possibly unfair system”? Yes.

14 Likes

There are other political parties in the United States than the Rs and Ds. It’s up to the American people to change their voting habits.

3 Likes

I don’t give a shit if you take my ancestry seriously or not, to be honest. I only discovered it when I was DNA tested, and find it truly weird that an extremely white guy like myself has enough ancestry to qualify as Native, if I only had the paper trail to confirm it. Like Warren, I don’t, because record keeping was pretty spotty back then.

8 Likes

While I’m sure the DNC, HRC, and many supporters would agree with you, ignoring clear malfeasance is not particularly OK.

2 Likes

I’m so tired of the Democratic party. They hold a monopoly on progress and strangle any leftward movement that threatens to take their captive voters, voters whose views they don’t represent and who aren’t voting for them but are voting against literally dying under Republicans.

I think that is what killed Bernies campaign, not explicit collusion, but an endemic attitude in the Democratic party (from leadership to active members) that because they get votes that means they have a mandate for centrism / centrism should be the dominant ideology, and anything else must work from that starting point. That leads to many, many little decisions that add up to a broken primary without needing anyone to order it be broken.

ETA: I hope to see the DSA supplant the Democratic party within my lifetime.

18 Likes

I don’t understand how you can build a cult of personality around someone as boring as Clinton.

7 Likes

Why not? A compelling case was made in a twitter thread by Walk Talk Dunk. If he’s right and Ms. Brazile confused the 2015 agreement with the 2016 agreement (made after her nomination), then the whole basis for the “rigged” claim is wrong.

https://twitter.com/WalktheTalkBern/status/926195470824640512

3 Likes

You can’t “give her a pass” on an accusation that seems to be an easily-debunked lie?

3 Likes

You’ve got 100% more proof than probably 85% of native ancestry claimants. Which I also – sniffle – don’t give a shit about.

(edited)