After passenger told U.S. Customs agent that her suitcase once held a smashed banana, she was detained and added to a watch list

I’ve been through a fair number of agricultural inspections, we get sent to the ag inspection line, they run our suitcases through an x-ray and open up anything that contains organic material of the right density. Nothing like what the author described happening.

I once answered truthfully (pedantically so) on the question about whether you are visiting a farm, because technically my parents’ property was a working ranch with around 20 head at the time. Just a hobby, but technically an agricultural place, yes. I was also taken to “USDA jail” as the author describes. They threatened to burn all my clothing, detained me for a couple of hours, and for years after that I was “randomly selected” for special screening every single time I flew. This was all before 9/11 even. At no point did they tell me why I was detained, what they were looking for, or what I had done wrong.

Needless to say, I never answered “yes” on that question ever again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.