4 Likes

I say, hey there copper,
Mr. Crimestopper
What is wrong with what we’re doin’?

We just wanna dance
in our goat skin pants
around this ancient ruin!

5 Likes

Let’s take a look at what the Word of God says to parents: “Children are a gift from God”(Psalm 127:3);and therefore, He cares about how they are raised. Scripture give specific instructions to parents about how to raise their children: “Bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4). Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6).

Regarding human wisdom, let’s see what the Word of God has revealed in 1 Corinthians 1:18-19 : Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom: For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

Wuuuut?

4 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing BBS. We welcome people of all faiths and all creeds. We do, however, have expectations that you will share your thoughts.

12 Likes

2 Likes

When I was in high school, you could opt for comparative religions as a humanities track (eg instead of sociology/anthropology, advanced histories topics.) This was in Ontario, Canada. I didn’t take it, but I heard some really interesting conversations amongst those who did. Can’t tell if it’s still part of the curriculum.

2 Likes

Yes please.

1 Like

I’d put atheism down as a religious position, for certain parts of freedom of religion: Firstly the right not to have another religion / religious position forced on you, and secondly the restriction that others have the right not to have your religion / religious position forced on them.

3 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing!

If you want to discuss religion, we actually have an enthusiast for the subject here.

Perhaps the two of you will get along.

14 Likes

14 Likes

(possibly incoherent - I am only just awakening and not made my tea yet)

I consider myself agnostic about most things, to a level which can be infuriating if I explained it to people. For example, since my own life span is hugely ephemeral when measured against infinity, I think it can be easily argued that I usually don’t exist, or that I do so for a negligible amount of time.

What gets me about gods is that I consider them, like all human thought forms, a technology. Not unlike art, science, cuisine, or money, religious practices can be demonstrably shown to exist as methodologies that people can draw upon and use. So this amounts to a bad controversy of ontological categories. Imagine a person arguing that cuisine or money exist independently of humans from the beginning of time. So, a reasoned rebuttal might be that they are both “imaginary” and do not exist as valid concepts at all. That would be a naive sort of answer for making one’s point!

Like with most human technologies, the best way to prove that it exists is to create it yourself. If we want to debate that my play does not exist, all I need to do is write, and perhaps perform the play. If people still want to argue over whether or not exists, then they are either being a bit thick or have a predisposition to wasting time in unproductive ways. Likewise, the easiest way to demonstrate that a god is real is to invent one yourself and use it. It is a methodological framework that anyone can use. The fact that anyone can do it is I think as much of a supporting argument as some may say that it is a refutation.

The ontological blind is that of insisting upon deities belonging to a specific category of existence which most human methods and ideas fail to satisfy. That their existence must somehow be independent of humanity for validity! In most areas of life, this would be considered absurd!

Thought-forms have a reality which could be considered “metaphysical”. Concepts such as “art” and “happiness” and “freedom” obviously exist in a way without most people being asinine enough to propose that the concepts don’t exist due to their being intangible! Proving/disproving the existence of freedom by requiring it to exist independently of people would completely miss the point, as well as be a waste of time. A loud population who may insist that their feelings exist objectively separate from their person may indeed be delusional in their understanding, but this in no way suggests the nonexistence of their feelings. It’s a simple category error, and understanding this quickly undoes the whole nontroversy.

“We believe that faith is a journey we take together. Religious education takes a lifetime. It happens both within and beyond a congregation’s walls. We support one another as individuals, families, and communities in an ongoing search for truth and meaning.”

I got to go experience a temple, a mosque, a couple flavors of protestant church, a cathedral, and one of my Sunday School teachers was decidedly wiccan. Pretty sure a few were gay. All before I was asked what I had come to believe. And this was the 1980s.

Modern version: Tapestry of Faith Programs for Children

4 Likes

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.