After Trump's press-conference, a Russian journalist commiserates with his "doomed" American colleagues

That’s exactly how I felt about your original comment. : (

3 Likes

Well, I read BB so I’m fully aware of that, and a lot of bad precedents he’s intent on setting. Even managed to read about half of NPR’s annotated transcript (going to finish today).

Anyway, I’m just curious if there’s been any major backlash outside of our lefty echo chambers. Just seems like all of our anger about his bullshit slides off him like a particularly greasy duck.

…It was the first analogy I could think of and I’m running with it.

4 Likes

Even FOX News came to CNN’s defense and took Trump to task for his behavior at that press conference.

But if you mean “backlash” in the sense of a response that’s likely to hurt Trump’s power base or credibility among his sycophants, then no.

5 Likes

Sigh. That’s basically what I expected. All this righteous indignation is starting to tire me out, but maybe that’s GOP strategy now.

4 Likes

There’s been a negative response from executives of major media outlets, which aren’t really lefty at the corporate level. I’m sure that’s reflected in other centrist institutions. Whether they have the will to fight back effectively is another matter, but we might be surprised.

But in the end, as Kovalev describes here and as Masha Gessen and Adam Curtis have discussed elsewhere, this stuff is purpose-designed to slide right off of right-wing autocrats. That would be true even if he wasn’t an accomplished confidence artist and even if 20% of the electorate didn’t happily embrace this BS.

3 Likes

I started to feel outrage fatigue around the second year of the occupation of Iraq. I had no idea how long I would be feeling that.

Now I am just astonished that this is all happening. I thought GWB was a moron in well over his head, but I never genuinely feared for my children’s future. Now I am honestly expecting us all to fall off a dark cliff in the next couple of years - some kind of Franz Ferdinand moment that opens a hundred ugly cans of worms all at once.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.