After weeks-long "cancellation", COPS resumed filming in September

Thanks!

2 Likes

I must be doing something wrong :confused:

1 Like

I’ll take that bet.

Also, @generic_name, ya’ll are brutalizing me.

1 Like

I’m hearing a different message: The job that police perform needs to be overhauled. What you call “screwing up” is the inevitable outcome of the way their jobs are defined.

If planes kept on crashing because pilots moved the flaps instead of the landing gear controls, there wouldn’t be talk of more intensive training for those pilots- they would change the cockpit. What the police need is a serious change to their “cockpit”. (And training, and culture, and all the rest)

1 Like

yes to the first part.

as to the second i think it’s more like, hey: white america has systematically re segregated american communities, created a police force funded to the levels of some nation’s militaries ( no joke ), created draconian sentencing laws, sent the cops to patrol black neighborhoods for “broken windows”, therefore sent disproportionate amounts of black men and women to jail, so othered black america as “criminals” as a result - including using tools like the show “cops” - that killing black people on the regular is now “normal”… and people are saying: can we please just stop already?

we bought fighter jets, when what we needed were jobs and grocery stores.

4 Likes

True. But they don’t have any incentive to change how their jobs are defined or done until there are negative consequences. There is no incentive to change training because what they have works well enough for the cops.

Start putting cops in jail and we might see incentive to develop better tactics, better training, and weed out the problem cops before they kill someone.

There have been police chiefs saying that there needs to be different services so cops aren’t the only people who come out when there is an issue. So there is SOME internal push for changing the role of police.

But even if that role changes and they are called out less frequently and for more serious calls - they still need to be held accountable when they fuck up.

1 Like

If Fox News could get the rights for cheap they might show them. Maybe have Tucker “Not a Credible Source of News” Carlson narrate.

1 Like

and especially for when they deliberately murder people.

2 Likes

This presupposes that the police are the best people to ask about how things should be. Kinda like asking a homeless person what kind of financial,zoning,real estate changes should be made to get them a roof over their head.

I see cops as victims of the patriarchy as well, who are then put in a position to go victimize others. Stop the abuse further upstream in the chain, it has a ripple effect.

Cops Is Back in Production After Being Canceled Amid Police Violence Protests…and I Just Want to Know Who Asked for This?

My favorite episode was a domestic dispute, the estranged husband came to visit his wife at her mom;s and she was reluctant to go with him… and then he mentioned he bought her a shrimp ring - and like that, she was his again. mama wasn’t happy, nothing for the cops to do. guy had shrimp. respect.

1 Like

The most common cause of police fatalities are traffic accidents.

2 Likes

Uh, that summary of your own cited source is Bill-Barr-level misleading.

Your cite lists 528 deaths resulting from being “shot,” which is a third of the total deaths and more than any other cause of death. Only by adding incidents in which officers were struck by vehicles to all other vehicular causes of death, including boat, plane, aircraft, horse, and bicycle accidents does “motor vehicle accidents” barely (538-528) outnumber the number of cops who died from being shot. I’m not aware of many (or any?) other professions that are likely to have deaths resulting from that combination of “vehicular” “accidents.”

Moreover, [citation fucking needed] that every cop who was “struck by [a] vehicle” was killed as a result of a motor vehicle “accident.”

1 Like

Something else to keep in mind regarding how likely cops are to be shot by non cops:

…and then we have all of the cops shot by fellow cops, both accidentally and deliberately.

1 Like

I’m not aware of many other … professions that are likely to have deaths resulting from that combination of “vehicular” “accidents.”

Try highway/road construction with live traffic, or as part of the highway maintenance crew cleaning up after a previous accident. I am including the wayward motorists in this equation. (disclaimer, I am a volunteer search and rescue member with the local police department and dealing with traffic control and road closures is the most dangerous thing we do.)

I can say the same about getting shot and motor vehicle fatalities does not include the subcategories on “intent” (accident, intentional, unintended target, …)

Moreover, [citation f*ing needed] that every cop who was “struck by [a] vehicle” was killed as a result of a motor vehicle “accident.”

Unless it is an absolute slam dunk with other supporting factors, the prosecution will generally charge for vehicular manslaughter as they only have to show the outcome and don’t have to show intent. For that reason that catch-all doesn’t tell the whole story.

Lots of deaths resulting from boat, horse, bicycle, and aircraft accidents among that population too, are there?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.