Aggressive horse trader and brave waiver of due diligence now knew Twitter numbers were bad all along

Originally published at: Aggressive horse trader and brave waiver of due diligence now knew Twitter numbers were bad all along | Boing Boing

10 Likes

“Your honor, I demand that you rule in my favor because the other guy is too much of a pussy to accept my challenge of a public debate.”

23 Likes

I mean I kind of think this is an “Everyone’s an asshole” thing. Twitter, a publicly traded company, has made claims and statements that there are only 5% bots/scam/non-singleuser accounts in their SEC filings. Saying “everyone knows that’s a lie” doesn’t make them less culpable for the fraud they committed by saying otherwise in their shareholder reports and SEC filings.

And Elon’s an asshole who likely knew this AND whose companies have likely used said botting to raise values of their stocks.

3 Likes

Wasn’t the whole public narrative in the run-up to the purchase attempt that twitter was a rational acquisition target because its value was being dragged down by bots that Musk claimed to have an (unspecified) plan to eliminate and thus increase twitter’s value?

There was also some stuff about making the internet safe for fascists; but the alleged business case was that twitter was being managed suboptimally with respect to bots which represented an opportunity for new management that believed they had a bot solution. Now that fearless leader has cold feet, of course, this has all been retconned into an innocent and trusting belief that twitter was low-bot and ready to go rather than being purchased as a fixer-upper. Truly, wealth creators move in mysterious ways.

15 Likes

If I signed a contract to buy a house that is riddled with termites after waiving my right to a termite inspection then it would be an incredibly stupid tactic to try getting out of said contract by claiming that I knew about the termites all along.

61 Likes

Too biggly smart to bother thinking about what he says. He says it it must be good because he’s so biggly smart.

His own thought process? or that of his followers? or both.

3 Likes

Want a public debate? Just broadcast what’s on the witness stand.

3 Likes

Exactly where have they claimed this? (Hint: They haven’t. If you think they have, you don’t understand what they’re claiming)

16 Likes

Bravo, that explains it perfectly.

18 Likes

Musk pivots like no one else. I bet he’ll now state that his “Anyone who uses Twitter…” comment was knowledge only recently passed on to him by his incompetent attorneys, and that he didn’t use twitter often enough to suspect scams, et al.

3 Likes

The only reason I can think of waiving the right to a “termite inspection” is if I intend to completely raze and level the structure completely, and understand that such undertaking and issues that arise from this is entirely on my dime.

11 Likes

But now he can’t claim he didn’t know about the bot problem without conceding he was dumber than most Twitter users, and claiming to be stupid is something he will never be able to bring himself to do because his ego would never allow it.

5 Likes

…and he went into it claiming he was buying the house specifically because could fix the termites, then flip it for more money. While also claiming he didn’t know there were termites, demanding a termite inspection, then saying the termite inspection is a lie for finding the termites that were the reason he bought the house.

The mind, it boggles.

37 Likes

AND some of the termites are his

13 Likes

He has only one move left.

30 Likes

There was no fraud on Twitter’s part in the SEC filing. Please read the following to understand Twitter’s procedure. Musk has purposefully ignored the explanation. On top of the purposeful ignorance, he waived due diligence anyway so it is probably moot.

If Someone Is Prattling On About Spam On Twitter And How That Helps Elon Musk, Send Them This Article

The article is on Techdirt, and it explains how Musk has little legal standing.

13 Likes

He can buy three Twitters a month. Maybe just walk away from this one.

Narrator: He won’t.

9 Likes

The article:

16 Likes

Thank you for adding the link. Greatly appreciated!

10 Likes

With big money on the line, we may get to see how much Musk’s ego is worth.

5 Likes