Aircraft that looks like ass has crashed

Oh, the wee manatee?

18 Likes

Quite the metaphor for the Brexit me say.

3 Likes

You do realise that speed is not the only thing that can kill you, right? The mass of the airship will still generate plenty of momentum. And that means it will easily crush you … very slowly.

2 Likes

Actually, boing boing was very clear that it’s the “world’s longest aircraft that resembles a massive ass”.
Also, what?!? The hindenburg was how big??
Wow.

2 Likes

Although if the crash is slow enough, you can safely and easily disembark while it’s slowly crumpling.

4 Likes

Bummer

2 Likes

bummer

3 Likes

#Arse!

4 Likes

Yeah, but this beast is twice as wide. At least it looks like it. From the rear.

1 Like

Well, since you’re going there…

Volume of Airlander 10: 38,000 m3
Volume of Hindenburg: 200,000 m3

It was big.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting that. I can visualize how big the Asslander Airlander is from that, and your mentioning the ratio of 2.5x.

4 Likes

Imagine if helium didn’t come from natural gas wells and hydrogen wasn’t “Oh the Humanity” flammable. While you are at it, imagine world peace.

4 Likes

Crashed? No. It’s just sitting down for a bit.

4 Likes

Jet fuel is flammable too - the public weren’t used to disasters of that nature occurring, and manned flight was still relatively new - most airship accidents of the era are attributable to pilot error.

The fact that helium is a byproduct of natural gas extraction is beside the point. Heavier than air flight is an environmentally horrendous way of getting about, and if you can stop expending so much energy just to stay up, then you can achieve a lower carbon footprint even using conventional fuel.

The Hindenburg was designed to use helium, incidentally, but the US wouldn’t sell it to them because of Nazi-related embargoes or something.

1 Like

Jet fuel is way less flammable than hydrogen or even gasoline. Hydrogen is among the most flammable substances, whereas jet fuel is really hard to ignite unless aerosolized. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10C7FSbE

The other issue with lighter than air flight is that you can’t go very fast (the Hindenburg had a top speed of 84 mph) because you have a big gas bag that creates drag so ground transportation starts to look like a reasonable alternative.

Oh, the Manatee!

1 Like

I like big blimps but this one can’t fly
Some engineering’s gone awry
'Cause when a blimp goes down with its nose to the ground
And its ass up in the sky
My pilots tried to warn me
But that blimp you got is (oh-oh-oh the humanity!)

5 Likes

Imagine a tree that would hug you back…or…a never-ending doobie!

1 Like

That thing sounds way louder than I expected.