Airforce C-130 crew punished for using airplane to pickup crew member's classic BMW motorcycle

Originally published at: Airforce C-130 crew punished for using airplane to pickup crew member's classic BMW motorcycle | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Cool quote from the article:

The aircraft was spotted by local residents eating lunch at a restaurant near the airport,

What, I wonder, does an aircraft eat for lunch.

13 Likes

Ducatis.

14 Likes

I assume it eats tiny picks of honey roasted peanuts.

7 Likes

When we can’t fly a $10,000 per hour of operation military plane on personal errands, the commies have already won.

13 Likes

French flies

2 Likes

That’s nothing, I saw waste beyond all belief when I was in the military, these guys are pikers.

10 Likes

All the way from Mississippi is 4 hours by my math (estimating speed at 350mph), I hope it was a side trip on the way to Hanscom or something, because if they just went up and back that’s WILD.

3 Likes

Article says they flew the bike back to Mather out side of controversial San Francisco Bay Area suburb Sacramento.

7 Likes

hardly a harley

3 Likes

Call me a hardliner, but I was disappointed to discover they landed the C-130 at an actual airport.

Had they landed in a meadow adjoining the the house where the bike was kept, that would be cool!

C-130s weren’t built for airports.

4 Likes

One of our C-130s decided to drop off the jumpmaster near the barracks (there was ample room on the exercise grounds for a lightly loaded C-130). Alas, it had been raining a lot previously, so the plane just sank into the grass and got stuck, totally, so it took weeks to dig it up, replace the bottom plating, and get it over to the runway. The greens were ruined for much of the following year!

7 Likes

It’s basically a strip of bumpy grass there. No pavement, little room to maneuver, right on the shore.

1 Like

Perfect!

:grinning:

2 Likes

Known as a Maximum Effort Landing , the C-130 can operate in and out of dirt strips that measure 3000 feet long by 50 feet wide. For comparison, a similar size commercial jet airliner uses a paved runway that is at least 6000 feet long and 150 feet wide.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.