Airline forced woman to take a pregnancy test before flying to US Territory [updated]

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/29/airline-forced-woman-to-take-a.html

4 Likes

There’s probably someone at ICE right now going “Hmmm…”

11 Likes

17 Likes

19 Likes

49 Likes

Someday a real rain will come… And it’s name will be Woman.

6 Likes

This seems more like racism since the purpose is to keep non-white people from being born as Americans.

10 Likes

49 Likes

Some of both, I would imagine. One wonders why Hong Kong Express went along with it. I imagine it’s pressure from the US somehow.

10 Likes

More class than race. I read somewhere that Chinese people with money come to the US to give birth pretty frequently, but they don’t have to go through this way. They just fly into a regular airport and go to a hospital. Maybe mix it up with a vacation.

3 Likes

Our transition to Gattaca was so smooth.

15 Likes
9 Likes

intersectionality

34 Likes

In this dystopian age, why would any woman with enough money to come to the US on a tourist visa want to give birth here?

16 Likes

Probably because as fucked up as we are and even with the arrow pointed down, US citizenship is still a pretty valuable commodity and there are a lot of opportunities here compared to a good part of the world. (I’m not buying into the argument that it happens all that often compared to the hysteria, I’m just saying why I think someone might do it)

14 Likes

I fluv you for having that gif readily on hand; I’d forgotten to save it for moments just like this one.

YOINK.

13 Likes

Not sure what people with hysteria think the numbers are but:
“ A recent story by The Fifth Estate revealed that non-residents make up nearly a quarter of all births at the Richmond Hospital, which has led to complaints that birth tourists are compromising care for locals and putting strain on staff.”

Trying to find the original article that was referenced. Also this is in Canada.

2 Likes

How is this the airline’s business, and not customs agents’?

9 Likes

Fixed that and etc.

17 Likes

Humm…

Some of the most popular properties for birth tourist mothers-to-be? Trump owned and branded…

14 Likes