Airport "security" trays are filthy reservoirs of infectious agents

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/05/disgusting-airport-trays.html

4 Likes

filthy reservoirs of infectious agents

I know we don’t like the TSA, but that’s a little harsh, don’t you think?

23 Likes

It’s 400 years since the invention of the microscope. Can we stop being surprised that there are bugs everywhere yet?

12 Likes

I deal with TSA agents regularly (they’re only in the USA, btw) and think they’re fine (at least the ones at JFK.)

Surprisingly, their swabs didn’t detect respiratory viruses on the toilet surfaces.

9 Likes

They should have a roll of bags, like their do at stores for wet umbrellas.
Just put your shoes and stuff in the plastic bag, and it shouldn’t bother the xray or visual inspection.

2 Likes

Clearly they just need to put the trays into the X-ray systems and turn the power to ‘well done’ once a shift or so.

16 Likes

Hey!
I’m a filthy reservoir of infectious agents.

5 Likes

So are airplane seats, airport seats, door handles, benches, or pretty much any surface constantly used by thousands of people with various diseases. Like any extremely busy public place, you can’t constantly sterilize everything. Wash your hands, put your stuff in plastic bags, use hand sanitizer, etc.

8 Likes

you know where they make you sign at the pharmacy?

you think they have ever sanitized that pen or device surface since it was installed?

5 Likes

EWWWW. Almost makes me want to stop licking the handrails on the escalators.

21 Likes

I mean… i’m not exactly licking my shoes or carry on so. You know. Wash your hands. You are washing your hands Cory, right?

1 Like

I’ve information vegetable, animal, and mineral …

2 Likes

Indeed, toilet surfaces seem to be a poor standard for comparison.

1 Like

Sure you can. It just might kill the people too.

3 Likes

I read a report recently that some bugs are now developing resistance to typical types of hand sanitiser, such as are used in hospitals. Nature, eh? Dontcha love it?

(May try to find said report tomorrow, but have no idea where I saw it.)

1 Like

3 Likes

Nope. Everything is dirty. Stay indoors and bathe in bleach.

7 Likes

Overall, I cannot help but think all these “X is dirtier than a toilet” stories just speak to the obsessive nature we have in regards to keeping toilets clean.

I mean we regularly drop thousands of tons of the harshest solvents, detergents, and antimocrobials on these things. I can’t really think of anything we clean more frequently or with more effort.

4 Likes

Awesome. Another billion single-use plastic bags released into the environment every year. That’s just what the world needs right now.

Here’s another thought: instead of more plastic bags, how about less TSA?

I’ve been wondering who that was.

Pfft. Speak for yourself.

9 Likes