Ajit Pai made Elizabeth Pierce his "broadband advisor," and now she's been arrested for a $250,000,000 fraud

She just a glorified intern who served coffee.

1 Like

Anyone will enough sense to not treat this administration as a pillaging expedition is probably doing a slow Moonwalk out the back door.

10 Likes

Mueller is not, in my definition, Trump administration. Rosenstein, well, let’s see how this all plays out…

5 Likes

Recently…

3 Likes

That’s the sort of terrible thing that happens when there’s net neutrality. Notice that none of her alleged crimes happened after it was repealed.

3 Likes

I am a little disappointed that Cory got the decimal places correct.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Probably someone is engaging in reckless, legal fraud. Probably. Maybe. If only by accident.

6 Likes

To be fair, I just was challenged to explain the significance of this development.

After some thought, the best I can come up with is that this is more “smoke” suggesting there’s a “fire”. i.e. Trump Appointees tend to surround themselves with people who are as corrupt as they are.

But in this case, there’s no evidence that Pai is in some way related to this wrongdoing. It’s just a character reference.

So this $250mm fraud is not on Pai. There is a lot that he’s on the hook for in his time as FCC chair, but let’s also remember that before he was appointed Chairman by Trump, he was appointed to the FCC by Obama (just not as chairman).

3 Likes

I am not a rabid Obama fan by any means — ahead of his first election for President, I voiced my confidence that he would win, because I thought it was pretty clear he was the choice of “The Man.”

1 Like

Seems like people only get in trouble for this sort of thing when the victims are investors. Funny how that works.

6 Likes

Defrauding investors? But, but - that’s stealing from rich people! You can’t do that!

5 Likes

Especially when you have investors like Steven Spielberg, learned the hard way by Madhoff.

“Pierce was trying to raise money to help build out a fiber optic system that would wire Alaska with high-speed internet and better help connect it to networks in other US states. Pierce was charged with wire fraud…”

“…wire Alaska…” “…wire fraud…”

Someone out there is going to read that and think wire fraud has everything to do with physical wiring. Hear that, Mom!!

Mueller is the anti-black sheep in Trump’s extended family.

2 Likes

Birds of a feather . . .

She’s out on $250 bail. Wouldn’t want to inconvenience her. Locking up a millionaire is cruel and unusual punishment.

1 Like

In fairness, she has been arrested for wire fraud; which is pretty similar to non-cellular telco experience.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.