Alabama judge defies chief justice's illegal order to ban gay marriage licenses

I wonder how those numbers would look if they took into account private sector jobs created by Federal contracts.

EDIT: I found a chart, but it only goes partway into 2012 and doesn’t adjust per capita. http://www.fedspending.org/fpds/tables.php?tabtype=t1&rowtype=c I’ll work on it.

1 Like

All I can say is if its finally legal in Alabama of all places, WTF is up with those last 13 states?

2 Likes

This is veering way off-topic but what the hell.

Not sure what to make of this except that being very close to or very far away from D.C. seems to help a lot. CT makes submarines, helicopters, and jet engines; ME makes destroyers; NM is Los Alamos… Huh, the second biggest contractor in MA after Raytheon and before General Dynamics is something called “Coins ’N Things.”

Sources here.

https://metaspasm.org/images/misc/Fed_contracts_chart.png

Argh! Why did i click that?

Apparently gay marriage leads to incest. The stupid, it burns!

3 Likes

They’re waiting on the Supreme Court. Although I gather what you’re asking is, why was it ever taken to court in the first place? No one has a good answer for that, which is why the opponents of equality keep losing.

Speaking as a Tennessean (one of those 13 states) I can say Alabama’s victory was bittersweet. It’s great that people are able to marry there, but now Alabama’s making us look backward.

4 Likes

I would just like to mention that Michigan being a recipient state is anomalous. Even through our worst one-state recessions, we’ve been a donor state. Now we get a piddling $.05 or $.10, and I don’t expect that situation to last for more than another year or two regardless of whatever batshit legislation Governerd signs into law.

Its close relative, the “Florida, man…” story.

I suspect the same thing would happen in a state where such things are not being discouraged and she hung around the courthouse in the same manner, or even if she were offering to perform different-sex marriages. Unlike the official in the OP article, she wasn’t supposed to be there, and she wouldn’t leave.

I’m not saying she [from @SamWinston1’s article, not OP article] wasn’t protesting, but it’s not the same thing at all as an employee [OP article] doing it.

Buck up, soon y’all will be just like Mississippi:
GOP lawmaker wants to make Bible official book of Tennessee
(you can only go up from there…)

4 Likes

There are some pretty good writers from Tennessee: Peter Taylor, James Agee, Randall Jarrell, John “Joe Bob Briggs” Bloom…If the state must have such a thing as an “official book” we have a wealth to choose from.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist fixin’ that.

3 Likes

Apparently Louisiana tried the same stunt last year.

Doesn’t something have to actually BE from the state in question to be the state’s _____?

1 Like

Texas named the jalapeno the state pepper, then named the chiletepin the state’s native pepper a few years later. It’s not like tepins are exclusively Texan either (I’m growing Peruvian tepins this year).

Yes, Moore can do things, and has. (Other than reading the Constitution, of course.)
What he’s done is to give the local clerks / judges/ etc. an excuse not to issue marriage licenses for a while until this gets straightened out. Just because he’s got no legal authority doesn’t mean that he’s powerless here. Also, he got his name back in the press, in case anybody’d forgotten him.

It was taken to court because marriage law is primarily state law, many states passed laws against it (either long ago, or more recently through state constitutional processes designed to be harder to overturn and more effective at getting Republican voters to go to the polls), and you have to get rid of those laws to be allowed to get married in those states.

Back when Jerry Brown was still Attorney General instead of governor, or later with Kamala Harris, I would have liked to see them defend Prop 8 in court instead of ducking it and letting the appeals courts haggle over standing.

• “Hi, Your Honor, Prop 8 says we can’t have gay marriage because it’s against one of the major religions and also the sky could fall.”
  • “Sorry, Constitution’s really clear that you’re not allowed to establish a religion. Did the sky fall while you were waiting for the appeal?”
  • “Yeah, we know. And the sky’s still there, though there have been rumors of a few cats and dogs living together.”
3 Likes

I did a reverse image search on the provided photo… everything seems to lead back to this boing boing article.

At this point, it sort of looks like Boing Boing found a photo and made up a story to wrap around it. I’m sure this isn’t actually the case, but seriously, Fauenfelder, cite your sources.

Well, I can’t find this /particular/ pic elsewhere, but numerous shots of the same thing exist.

As it turns out, this woman isn’t a judge at all. Facts, shmacts.

1 Like

It’s gettin’ more interesting. Two-thirds of the probate judges aren’t granting licenses now:

With the money quote: “He said to us that he had to see something from a higher court ‘pass through his desk’ before he accepted gay marriages, telling us that a federal judge’s opinion didn’t apply to him and saying he hadn’t heard anything about the supreme court ruling.”

And then later in the day, a Federal Judge weighed in:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAY_MARRIAGE_ALABAMA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Showdown in the making?

2 Likes

The crazy part is believing that a book of fairy tales written over hundreds of years by a small group of crazed male bigots represents the Word of God.

Or that your made-up Word of God (The Bible) represents the only source of morality and legitimate governance whereas someone else’s made-up Word of God (The Quran) is the source of all evil, even if it too was written over hundreds of years by a small group of crazed male bigots…

I could go on…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.