Alabama judge defies chief justice's illegal order to ban gay marriage licenses

Moore won’t/can’t do anything. The governor has already announced that whatever his own feelings about gay marriage (against, surprise surprise), he’ll take no action against probate judges who give out marriage licenses and perform ceremonies. Moore can fume all he wants, but he has neither the power to arrest anyone nor the power to discipline judges (that lies with a separate commission that already kicked him off the bench once).

4 Likes

The governments in those states will never do it. They take out more than they put into the federal coffers, and they would never want to lose that…

2 Likes

That picture is adorable. Is she the one doing the weddings? Because if so, to evoke the Monty Python sketch, I’d like to marry her, too.
I’m so glad judges are ignoring that dipshit, “Judge” Moore.

4 Likes

My understanding is that this woman is not a judge–she’s an officiant. You’ve still got to get the license yourself (which some but not all courts in Alabama are providing), but then she’ll perform the ceremony.

1 Like

…because clearly this tactic worked so well for them in the 60s in alabama. silly judges. come over to the right side of history, for once – the water is fine!

2 Likes

Just cut their federal funding and let them live on what they can bring in state tax wise. That will shut them up.

5 Likes

You mean the Dinosaurs from God theme park.

I wonder if Rico laws could be applied here. It’s been applied before to corporations that silence whistle blower’s free speech. If you consider marriage as a freedom of expression…then Judges banding together to stop that expression, Rico might apply.

1 Like

Yeah, but you know they don’t actually believe that; they believe anything but the truth. Never underestimate a non-rich conservative voter’s eagerness to vote against their own best interests.

3 Likes

Every-so-often I fantasize that we could have just one year when states had to live on their own taxes.

In my head, I imagine that it would shut up all those dozens of Republican states who continuously get to yell that taxes and the Federal Government are bad, while taking from the government more than they provide.

The rest of us in those 14 states that actually fund the other 36 states would get to sit back and serve fois gras at our public schools for a year.

But then I snap back to reality and realize that this is the same as expecting global warming deniers to actually acknowledge having been wrong as more and more data convinces them that it’s real, instead of having them say “oh no, I never denied that the Earth was warming, it’s some other point that I was arguing.”

7 Likes

The un-natural Calzone Agenda once again rears it’s ugly, crust-only, head.

1 Like

The last time they were ordered to do that they filled the pools with dirt.

That’s not a bad metaphor for the refusal of some to issue any marriage licenses.

3 Likes

Let’s keep in mind (they sure do!) which subsets of people within those 36 states are (perceived to be, rightly or wrongly) getting those federal subsidies.

On average, citizens of states with strong Republican majorities get back more from the federal government than they pay in. Kentucky receives $1.51 from Washington for every dollar its citizens pay in federal taxes. Alabama gets back $1.66. Louisiana receives $1.78. Alaska, $1.84. Mississippi, $2.02. Arizona, $1.19. Idaho, $1.21. South Carolina, $1.35. Oklahoma, $1.36. Arkansas, $1.41. Montana, $1.47, Nebraska, $1.10. Wyoming, $1.11. Kansas, $1.12.

Meanwhile, in Florida:

“Horrific Florida Bill Would Imprison Trans People for Using Public Bathrooms”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2015/02/06/florida_bill_would_imprison_trans_people_for_using_public_bathrooms.html (some language I’d avoid.)

2 Likes

So, this probably wouldn’t be classified as a “Florida Man” story?

1 Like

If a man encloses a pizza as with an empanada, he has committed an abomination; it shall surely be stricken from the menu, for its sauce is within itself.

–Sicilians 20:13

Then again the New Testament takes a more nuanced approach on matters of church and state:

Render unto Little Caesar the things that are Little Caesar’s, and unto Godfather’s the things that are Godfather’s.

–Mario 12:17

19 Likes

People like this make me sick!!!

Look, I could understand this so-called “protest” if it was something I agreed with, like regulating freed ladyparts or stopping poor people from getting health insurance, but so-called “protests” like this baffle and nauseate me!!!

I mean, come on!!! Typical Activist Court-Big Government Liberals ignoring We the People who use Big Government to prevent a group we don’t like from getting married!!! Thank goodness Judge Moore’s Activist Court is willing to push back against so-called “minority rights” and the 14th Amendment, ensuring that Big Government stays on the side of We the People and not You People!!!

And so it begins:

Woman arrested after offering to perform same sex marriages.

Not the woman in the picture tho.

EDIT: Listen to her statement here. http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/23183935/

2 Likes

In one of the Dukes Of Hazzard movies someone calls the Duke boys Hill Billies. One of them answers that they prefer ‘Appalachian American’

4 Likes