Alabama public television won't air Arthur episode featuring gay wedding

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/21/alabama-public-television-won.html

6 Likes

Yeah, shocking. Not.

16 Likes

arthur-fist

51 Likes

“Our broadcast would take away the choice of parents who feel it is inappropriate,” McKenzie told CNN in a statement.

What about taking away the choice of parents that feel it is appropriate?

46 Likes

Oh Alabama…you crazy kids you.

4 Likes

Yeah, McKenzie, remotes allow you to change the channel, right?

20 Likes

But the episode where Francine’s doctor gets life in prison for helping her get an abortion after her abusive father impregnated her is still good to go, right?

40 Likes

…as it is carried on a special frequency which paralyzes muscle control, making it impossible for Good Backwards Christians to change the channel or avert their eyes.

26 Likes
  1. The lady presenter was spot on with her assessment about “over explaining to kids”.

2. I thought it was a brave decision to shatter stereotypes by having a gay couple that can’t dance.

14 Likes

That sounds more like a Thanksgiving episode, though.

5 Likes

“Jesus didn’t have no clicker, so we don’t have one neither!”

10 Likes

I’m Trans and gay and can’t dance for shit.

21 Likes

I used to think PBS stood for something. I’m going to remember this next pledge drive.

This was a local decision in AL. The national PBS absolutely stands for something.

23 Likes

It was a local PBS affiliate that made the call not to air the episode, so unless they’re your station a boycott at pledge time won’t hurt the right people.

14 Likes

And just think, a new law requiring that everyone be gay would put a stop to abortion once and for all!

30 Likes

What a fabulous solution!

Yeah, results may vary…

14 Likes

IIRC one of the bits of culture shock that the protagonist from The Forever War had to grapple with was that while he was off in deep space humanity largely dealt with overpopulation by encouraging homosexuality, to the point where most people were genetically predisposed/engineered to be gay.

14 Likes

That’s just unnatural!! That’s what the Gays WANT!!

Ten bucks says I was not the first to say that.

11 Likes

That’s an interesting concept. But more likely we’d just become more pan sexual, ala the future with Captain Jack from Doctor Who. Or find something to just nuke the libido, because really, it wastes and inordinate amount of our time. But as far as overpopulation goes, we are already finding cultures with negative to near negative population growth. Even the racists who are like “Look at the birth rates!” are wrong, because immigrant birthrates match the host country within a generation.

5 Likes