Alabama to spend more than $1bn on world's most expensive prison

Originally published at: Alabama to spend more than $1bn on world's most expensive prison | Boing Boing

4 Likes
  1. That was probably mostly Blue State federal tax contributions paying for it. How dare they spend my tax money that way!

2. Imagine how that money could have been spent in the state which hovers between 47-50th place in all quality of life metrics!

26 Likes

•Entrance is free, but duration of visit and incurred expenses during your stay are variable and subject to change without notice.

16 Likes

If ya build it, ya gots ta’ fill it. Gee, I wonder who they’re gonna fill all those empty cells with?

14 Likes

Release the non-violent drug offenders across the US and there will be ample prison space for the foreseeable future.

12 Likes

5 million people in Alabama means $200/citizen. One day of work for this prison. Family of four? That’s $800 the state took from you.

7 Likes

Abolition should be the new Alabamafication. Ur doing it wrong, AL! Sez there’ll be more than 50 buildings on the site, and that it’s based on prisoners’ needs like medicine and mental health care. I just don’t see the glamour shots.

Not to end overcrowding, also sez. Good news though bc. gross understaffing means AI robot minders will have a bit of a check note when at the end of the day the ask themselves if they made a fr-ai-und.

11 Likes

But what about the shareholders?

14 Likes

“There is no better prison. It’s the best prison in the world, believe me.”

6 Likes

The latest action approved spending of a little more than $1 billion, which state officials said is the final price for the project.

15 Likes

“But we can’t spend that $1billion on social programs that reduce poverty and crime, because it sends the wrong message!”

“What message is that?”

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

11 Likes

They should at least turn it into a tourist attraction so that they can defray some of the costs.

“Look, dad! That sign says ‘World’s Most Expensive Prison’, 4 miles! Can we stop? Oh, please, can we stop?”

“OK, Timmy, but we can’t spend more than $50 in the gift shop. And if you want to visit the Tase-a-Prisoner section, that’s coming out of your allowance.”

5 Likes

That’s just to build it. I’m sure the ongoing costs to operate it will be huge as well. But of course that pales in comparison to the human cost of a system that locks up so many people.

8 Likes

Food pantries and other programs to reduce poverty have been shown over and over again to be the most effective ways to reduce crime. How much good could be done in Alabama by spending that $1bn on improving lives instead of punishing those who’s lives were often wrecked long before they were born?

19 Likes

Probably completely unrelated:

One way or another, you will be disenfranchised.

2 Likes

I saw this gem the other day.

bama

4 Likes

… we’d like to make things better for you, but Grandma’s pension is invested in your oppression

5 Likes

Sure, prisons are more profitable than helping people, but who wants to hurt Grandma?

5 Likes

Oooh yeah; let’s reward a state that is actively trying to cripple the military system, and is gerrymandering its citizens!

I’m not sure it’s a bad thing to build a state of the art prison somewhere (maybe further north?), considering how shitty many others are (and proved to be inadequate during this last heat wave). BUT I’d like to hear that we’re actively reviewing minor drug crimes for release, and are also closing some of the shittier prisons out there.

6 Likes

black and white running GIF

3 Likes