Guantánamo Bay is the most expensive prison on Earth

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/17/guantanamo-bay-is-the-most-exp.html

5 Likes

It costs $13 million per year to house each of the 40 prisoners at Guantánamo Bay

That’s $325,000.00 per individual per year.

That’s $890.41 per day for each individual.

What a deal America! Let’s make more great financial transactions like this, or we can set them free…

8 Likes

Housing prisoners in a hostile foreign country, in solitary confinement conditions, where you consistently refuse them due process has proven expensive?

jessica-jones-kilgrave-surprise

20 Likes

I’ll stay out for half that. Think of the savings!

4 Likes

You misunderstand. That’s $13 million annually for each prisoner. That is, over $35,600 per person per day.

18 Likes

tumblr_obylhikQ7D1urmckio1_400

12 Likes

Imagine how much goodwill could be generated if we spent half as much money on projects designed to give people in other countries reasons to love America instead of creating more reasons to hate it.

18 Likes

Yeah, the numbers are so crazy that one’s brain responds by trying to “fix” them, because they obviously can’t be true - they’re beyond absurd. Like, even a parody would be more believable than this shit. And the numbers are actually an undercount of the costs, because we know something’s being left out, but we don’t know how much that is.

Shit, we could give a fraction of this money to pay off suspected terrorists to not be terrorists, and it would probably be more successful (and a hell of a lot cheaper). “Ok, guard yourselves well, guys!”

8 Likes

Well…now we know where that gold toilet went.

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s right. The math is already per prisoner at $13M/yr. :flushed:

4 Likes

That can’t possibly be right. I distinctly remember President Obama promising to shut it down over ten years ago.

14 Likes

Terrorist: Death to America!
America: We’re very sorry you feel that way. Would you like a new house and a big screen TV?
Terrorist: You can’t buy me off that eas—
America: It comes with a free Hulu and Netflix subscription.
Terrorist: God bless America!

11 Likes

We could put them all in the world’s most expensive luxury hotel suites.

Terrorist: Death to America!
America: Really? Let’s see how radical you feel after a couple weeks in the “Princess Grace Suite.”

8 Likes

Turns out the cost of torture is just money. So of course the US conservative establishment is happy to set up dungeons.

5 Likes

I want the costs.

YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE COSTS!

4 Likes

Sounds like the one’s running the place are the criminals.

What a racket.

you say that like the rest of the military budget is not also a waste of money

but it’s $300K per prisoner squared

that’s just LOGIC

1 Like

They certainly don’t seem to be wasting that kind of money on things like health care and job training for veterans.

5 Likes

well of course veterans should get better jobs and health care than everybody else

that goes without saying

1 Like

Everyone should have access to jobs and health care. But veterans often have different employment and healthcare needs than others because of their service, so the least the military can do with all those billions is attempt to fix the people they broke.

8 Likes