Alabama to spend more than $1bn on world's most expensive prison

I couldn’t bring myself to actually watch last night but I understand a couple of the GOP candidates had a very contentious argument over who was responsible for buying $50,000 worth of fancy curtains for the official residence of the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.

I mean, $50K might not seem like a big chunk of the Federal budget but if you spent that kind of money on drapery for twenty thousand residences you’d be dropping enough money to pay for a fancy new prison.

5 Likes

Fortunately, we don’t have twenty thousand ambassadors.

$50,000 wouldn’t cover the new residence’s monthly rent, which is a manhattan penthouse. Previously, ambassadors used an hotel suite.

As the times deadpanned, “For decades, American ambassadors to the U.N. lived in the Waldorf Astoria hotel. But after the hotel was purchased by a Chinese insurance company with a murky ownership structure…”

3 Likes

Maybe we should. If we had tens of thousands of ambassadors wining and dining world leaders then we could probably save some money on military spending.

6 Likes

I’m sure that talking to Sergey Lavrov is like talking to a very superficially charming brick wall.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.