Alan Rickman, 1946-2016

Shoot ze glass!

Oddly, I met him a couple of times. Great chap.

Alan Rickman sees everyone forgetting to mention his accomplished stage career and be all like:

24 Likes

Probably his most autobiographical work.

Despite being clearly born to play Snape, I always think of him in these two movies:

1 Like
7 Likes

I have yet to see a reference to Snow Cake today and feel obliged to remedy that. A charming little mix of Alan Rickman, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Sigourney Weaver. Worth a look.

5 Likes

I was just talking about Bob Roberts with someone yesterday. Seriously underrated movie.

4 Likes

A shout-out for this, too:

4 Likes

Cancer sucks, as my sister said shortly before she died.

Alan Rickman really came into his own as a villain. Loved him in Robin Hood and Die Hard. He was OK in the Harry Potter movies, but not really his strong suit.

4 Likes

From the New Yorker:

“Here’s to the best damned antagonist a guy could ask for.”

17 Likes

Really? I’m the FIRST to post this one?

7 Likes

Well… on the bright side, they were all at least taken after a long full life. Not like some guy in their 30s or something. 2-3 years from average life expectancy isn’t a bad deal.

It’s more like 12-13.

6 Likes

Well that is news to me!

Donald Trump is 69. Just sayin’

5 Likes

I’d settle for the death of his political career.

8 Likes

Which is a national cancer.

7 Likes

Watched Dogma last month with my teenage kids. his performance was the highlight.

“human beings have neither the aural nor the psychological capacity to withstand the awesome power of God’s true voice. Were you to hear it, your mind would cave in and your heart would explode within your chest- we went through five Adams before we worked that one out.”

11 Likes

i just can’t even. we all shuffle off our coil, life is short and brutish, and that doesn’t mean i am not tearing up a bit.

5 Likes

2016… what a shit show of a year thus far and it’s not even February yet.

I really admired Rickman as someone who got a super late start in the entertainment business – I mean he was in his 40s in Die Hard, and what a film debut.

Back in 2012, cracked.com covered his unlikely success here: http://www.cracked.com/article_19655_5-famous-late-bloomers.html

I have always felt he was such a good villain because his portrayals did a great job of straddling the line between being likeable and punchable at the same time – over the top, yet not overbearing. I can’t imagine a better person to have played Snape in the Harry Potter films – despite his cruelty you can just sense what a broken man he was underneath all that.

What a loss.

5 Likes