Alaska cancels snow crab season for first time in history after discovering a 90% drop in population

Originally published at: Alaska cancels snow crab season for first time in history after discovering a 90% drop in population | Boing Boing

7 Likes

That’s going to make people :crab: crabby.

8 Likes

Im Fine GIF by MOODMAN

We are so fucked :frowning:

32 Likes

31 Likes

There’s been an almost 20% decrease in blue crabs living in the Chesapeake Bay. A similar decrease in horseshoe crabs as well which is affecting bird migration due to loss of a food source. (Horseshoe crab eggs)

Really how many more proverbial coal mine canaries do we need?

43 Likes

Don’t worry, BP is already working on ways to mine what’s left of them.

24 Likes

These crabs know their natural history, so they know they can just peace out until the next cataclysmic change levels off. “We’ve evolved into our current form many times before. Don’t worry about us, we’ll be back. You motherfuckers with the all-you-can-eat buffets, not so much…”

19 Likes

let’s see 7.9 billion people, make sure to protect the 1%, ummm… we need 7.821 billion canaries.

9 Likes

Frankly fishing in general should’ve been more restricted. A lot of marine species are being driven to extinction but people have to be fed so fishing activities haven’t been meaningfully stopped

19 Likes

“Nope, nothin’ wrong here!”

2 Likes

Fish the ocean dry, and then complain that there are no fish. Classic.

3 Likes

Somehow I don’t think this is a 90% decline over the last two years. Rather, I think they have been sticking their head in the sand and can’t anymore.

5 Likes

Snow crab are a relatively deep water species, at least on the coast of BC. That means it is unlikely the temperature has changed much (i.e. 1000 feet underwater). That said, changes to currents could easily be the culprit, especially for a localized area, and current changes are definitely in the cards with climate change.

6 Likes

It’s matzoh balls in spring roll wrappers and leeks in hydration bottles soaked in tempeh butter with lemon season, late-stage folks!
Crabs lying flat, who’d have thought.
Who’s going to carry the emissive film aloft of the ocean now?

9 Likes

Deep sea life is partly dependent on organic matter from higher up, if changes higher up in the ocean have altered, in amount or character of the marine snow, that could effect the food chain the crabs are part of.

10 Likes

Absolutely correct.

7 Likes

Wonder if Red Lobster’s “Pickled Jellyfish Fest” will be as popular as their crab promotions.

8 Likes

Does this mean Deadliest Catch will finally be canceled?

1 Like

15 Likes

“History shows again and again, how nature points out the folly of man”.

13 Likes