Scientists release hundreds of thousands of crabs upon Florida to protect coral reefs

Originally published at: Scientists release hundreds of thousands of crabs upon Florida to protect coral reefs | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Hundreds of thousands of crabs, and it’s not even Spring Break! /s

17 Likes

I welcome our crustacean crists, but no cross for these little ones. Just algae.

7 Likes

while i have hope for the success of this project, it will need protection and regulation from FWC. once the Keybillies discover how tasty Carribean king crab is, they will be harvested. i’ll put in for a permit to take as soon as they’re available. yum! :yum:

17 Likes

(Hoping for an invite to dinner)

Tonight Show Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

6 Likes

“algae encrusted christ”?
we already have one, thanks:

17 Likes

Also; apparently curcumin can combat coral bleaching

10 Likes

I dunno. “Release the Crabs!” just doesn’t have the same ring to it as “Release the Kraken!” Is there any chance of genetically engineering a giant algae-eating cephalopod?

9 Likes

Cool, they’ll save the coral just in time for climate change to wipe them out!

5 Likes

Looks more like PR than science. They are doing the same thing here in Australia with the Great Barrier Reef. That is…Conservative governments fund a bunch of scientists to study the destruction of the coral, and every 3 months, or so, they have a PR stunt about some “solution” they have found.
If you search “scientists Florida coral reef” you will see that every 3 -6 months they make similar hopeful-sounding announcements. But its just PR.

6 Likes

Day Today GIF

7 Likes

I did.

9 Likes

Want to go after the real villains when it comes to the destruction of reefs? Send these big bois.

6 Likes

Will be heard at some future seafood restaurant: “Ok, who ordered the Cracked Kraken?!”

3 Likes

My favorite bit from the Vox article was the picture of the woman who trains crabs to fear predators.

8 Likes

For “Classic”, read “Dogshit”. Don’t read this book, just thought it a fun link…

4 Likes

Horrible cover art. And “night”? What’s shown there appears to be happening in the daytime!

1 Like

Want giant crabs? Well, this is how you get …

The little crab needs reassurance

4 Likes

black and white loop GIF by Doze Studio
Be careful what you wish for

7 Likes

Could be worse.

13 Likes