Alaska congressman (87) who ridiculed Covid, has Covid

I am hoping he gets the same care as anyone else and has an agonizing recovery with permanent complications. Otherwise he will double down on sneering at the pandemic and will work even harder to make sure we don’t do anything about it.

6 Likes

By your logic, we cannot say anything about the chances for anybody who is not perfectly average in all ways. If you have a study showing mortality results for 87 year old congressmen then by all means cite it but without data you have no way of knowing if fitness increases or decreases his odds by .01%, .1%, 1%, or 10%.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Exactly, we just can say something about the average person in that age group of we don’t know more about that person.

I don’t see why that is hard to understand. The risk is not distributed evenly in any age group. Preexisting conditions like obesity, diabetes, heart disease, asthma etc. can be stronger predictors for a severe disease and death with COVID-19 than age, because it‘s not age that predicts death but said predictors in combination with his body‘s capacity to withstand diseases.

Especially in this age group a significant number of his peers are already unable to care for themselves. They will be more likely to die from COVID-19 than a person who is older than the average life-expectancy in the US and still fit enough to be a congress man.

Saying you‘re old, so your chance is that of an average old person simply wrong, and a fundamental misunderstanding of risks.

Covidiot.

3 Likes

Is it really? Or is it merely incomplete? Your immune system becomes less effective as you get older. So even without other complicating factors, age is on its own is generally predictive of Covid outcomes is it not?

1 Like

If you say the average risk for that person is 14%, or the risk is between 2% and 50% (just an example), that would be correct. Saying it is exactly that specific number, especially down to the decimal place, is not correct.

That is true for each individual, but genes and lifestyle have a significant impact on how healthy an individual at a certain age is, and thus how that individual can cope with Covid. So what information would that average tell us about an individual?

We are talking probabilities not absolutes so I’m not getting your point

2 Likes

Though it might be heartless, I have to kind of agree. Plus, this repub has been hypocritically suckling at the teat of the federal government near his entire life. 25 terms in Congress? Yep, that’s what it looks like.

5 Likes

I’m convinced that Trump getting covid and (apparently) recovering without problems has seriously fueled the current wave of the pandemic. I mean, he was fueling the pandemic from the start with his dismissive talk, but the lack of impact on him just “proved” to his supporters that he was right all along. It’s incredibly dangerous.

8 Likes

Don Young is a dangerous, violent thug who hasn’t had the best interests of Alaska at heart since the 1980’s. He is a thoroghly corrupt misogynist who has assaulted his own aides and several reporters, one of whom wasn’t even interviewing him at the time and just decided “she was in his way” and pushed her. He deserves no privacy. He deserves no “understanding”. He’s a violent old man that should be thrown in jail.

15 Likes

So he received a “crown” – just not the kind he was hoping for.

1 Like

I’d definitely put Don Young in roughly the same category as Mitch McConnell: unlikely to be ever voted out, a great argument for term limits in the Senate, and a person whose every birthday is a cause for celebration as they move closer to the inevitable…

Even Mitch was smart enough not to get COVID, though.

5 Likes

It ain’t over. :crossed_fingers:
Although with our luck, COVID would catch Mitch.

7 Likes

I came to comment along the lines of: please stop posting this genre of “covid-denier gets infected”, when they survive (and a lot of them have) all it does is give the covidiots ammunition to point at saying ‘see, it’s not so bad’.

Publicize when a covid-denier dies (eta: or has long-covid), not when they get infected.

4 Likes

9 Likes

To all those lamenting stupid people in power who caught Covid then “recovered,” I say this:

11 Likes

I’m not convinced that he had it in the first place.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it were just a stunt for him to be able to discount the deadliness of the disease, play to his base, boost the economy, etc, etc…
It is dangerous, like you said.

4 Likes

That was one of my initial responses too, but yeah, Trump had it. He’s not strategic enough to plan, and way too lazy to follow through on, that kind of long con. This also would be a conspiracy that would necessarily involve a bunch of other people (doctors, White House staff, etc.) who would be reluctant to go along with it and all of whom could - and in the case of White House staff, absolutely would - leak to the press. (So many of his staff either hate him or have ego-fueled reasons for blabbing to the press.) Plus, no matter what kind of benefit it would have, Trump absolutely refuses to show any sign of weakness, which getting sick is for him. All the crazy stories that got leaked by his staff about theatrical stunts he wanted to pull to try to negate the perception of weakness shows just how much getting sick was bothering him.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.