Alaska congressman (87) who ridiculed Covid, has Covid

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/13/alaska-congressman-87-who-ridiculed-covid-has-covid.html

5 Likes

Yeah, no. He doesn’t get to downplay the pandemic, poo pooing social distancing and mask mandates, leading to spreading the virus, and then demand “respect” and “privacy” when he gets what he’s sowed. :-/

37 Likes

I hope he receives excellent care and recovers fully.

I’m getting a Southern “bless his heart” vibe from this statement. I fully approve of it.

37 Likes

You may not like how he characterized a disease that claimed hundreds of thousands of American lives as a joke, but at least he’s dedicated enough to carry through the punchline.

17 Likes

I know it is a minor thing but WTF?

11 Likes

“Corona” :-/

1.2 million dead world wide, and it’s just getting started.

Don Young can have all my thoughts and prayers. All of them.

12 Likes

If there was a “lol” button, right next to the like, I totally would’ve hit that

13 Likes

Getting near a quarter of a million, which has a nice hollow ring to it.

Too bad he didn’t do that before getting it (and probably infecting others).

13 Likes

You spelled Yon Dung wrong.

3 Likes

This is the guy who said “You can’t just let all those wild animals run around and do whatever they want”.

11 Likes

No, it doesn’t. 14.8. is the chance of the average person older than 80 years dying from Covid-19. If he’s fit enough for being a congressman at 87, his health is probably way above average in his age group, so his chance of dying would most likely be significantly lower.

This is not rocket science.

1 Like

It is probably impossible to discern an individual’s chances of dying from Covid. The death factors are numerous and many unknown. There have been people young and healthy who have died from it, so I am not so sure a “healthy” 87 would increase his chances all that much.

12 Likes

Just having a pulse at 87 puts his health above average in his age group, but that doesn’t mean he has especially great odds of surviving COVID-19.

20 Likes

It would be interesting to see the stats on the percentage of each age group “surviving” the virus but saddled with residual physical and mental issues.

11 Likes

Not so many, though, compared to those of the same age who had preexisting conditions.

There has been a lot of reporting on that in different countries, here’s an article about the US:

I hope he receives excellent care and recovers fully.

I don’t. Not because I wish him personally any ill will, but because every time a covid-denying Republican gets infected and recovers without any obvious long-term effects, it increases the number of right-wingers denying the seriousness of the situation and failing to take proper hygiene measures, further causing the pandemic to worsen and continue killing hundreds of thousands of Americans.

14 Likes

I agree, that would be really interesting. It appears that it is too early, reliable data about that is not yet available.

1 Like

Betcha he drank one of them infected beers.

5 Likes

The only thing I guarantee you is that no outcome he may have with this disease will be sufficient to do justice to him.

2 Likes

Isn’t posting something on Twitter the exact opposite of privacy?

4 Likes