Albert Einstein's funny face is on the world's smallest gold coin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/albert-einsteins-funny-face.html

1 Like

A docu-drama came out a few years ago that told the story of this picture, it was compelling stuff.

2 Likes

Looks like Loyd Bridges, circa glue huffer Airplane movie.

4 Likes

Hmm don’t they have to pay a royalty for that?

1 Like

Looks like he picked the wrong week to quit snorting tiny coins.

11 Likes

I was just curious—per Google, gold is selling for $50.18 per gram today, so at 0.063 grams the coin is worth about $3 in raw material. Six Twelve! times the face value, but only 1.5% of the sales price.

3 Likes

I really wish that they would have made the coin less collectable and sold it for a more reasonable price, like $20 or so. I would have bought one at that price… but gold coins are supposed to basically be material stores of value and this one isn’t.

1 Like

Alas, the Swissmint online store says it is already sold out. I wonder if local coin stores got a reserve or not.

1 Like

But this one is “collectable!”

If the world doesnt go to shit, it should increase in value.

If it does go to shit, it will at least retain some value.

This is why I am thinking about switching my collecting to SOLID GOLD Boba Fetts.

4 Likes

X-All-The-Y_phixr

2 Likes

That’s a lot of money to spend on your doll house.

Thanks to William Tell, Switzerland is a republic and has no royalty.

1 Like

If we’re going to put Einstein’s face on “the world’s smallest gold coin,” we should be connecting the atoms together one by one with a fancy microscope

1 Like

Little known fact: Einstein showed this grimace to some paparazzo because he was absolutely pissed off permanently being photographed and by the whole fuzz media made about him: “I don’t understand what these people want from me. I am a mathematician, not a film star. I just wished they’d leave me alone”. Ironically the shot became iconic and Einstein part of the pop culture. Still nobody gives a fuck about the facts behind it but makes a quick dollar from Einstein being denied his right of privacy.

I was going to inquire about whether there was some definition of ‘coin’ that allowed a chunk of metal almost 3mm in diameter to even dream of being ‘smallest’ anything.

Gold, in particular, seems to be fairly popular for the ‘do tiny things with atomic force microscopy’(I assume because it reduces the degree to which chemical interactions ruin your day, though I’m no expert); so there are a variety of atom-scale structures celebrating various university and corporate lab logos, and assorted other images.

1 Like

2.96-millimeter (0.12-inches) gold coin.

Huge.

Minters just couldn’t make it down to the atomic level.

it’s also good for clickbait headlines

some people will click if they see “gold” but not, like, “bismuth” or whatever

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.