Aliens! 👽

See what I said: I don’t actually think describing the phenomenon in terms of “space aliens” makes too much sense. “More advanced lifeforms than humans, who are present on Earth, and probably also elsewhere” might be more accurate.

behaviors that seem to indicate FTL travel…?

It doesn’t.

3 Likes

Whether WE can send information FTL is a separate issue from the fact that a valid interpretation of quantum physics is that FTL communication occurs in nature. Or non-locality. As a nondualist, I see them as the same thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

That sounds interesting. A couple of questions, don’t feel obligated to answer:

Are you thinking long-lived, multigenerational, suspended animation, or something else?

What would be the purpose of spending resources on invading other words?

1 Like

Increasing shareholder value.

2 Likes

How do you do that without FTL communications or travel? All CEOs care about is fiscal quarter results…

Massive multi-generational ships. Eventually they learn to glom on to asteroids, attach engines, and steer it around while using the asteroids to mine for materials to build more ships. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, and water is the most abundant molecule. Once you get the infrastructure set up, it should be fairly self sufficient.

An invasion would begin with the mother ship sending out several giant chunks of itself with rockets to slow the decent. Once landed, it is all or nothing. There is no whizzing back and forth, though they have rockets to pull back personnel if needed.

Conquest. Life has no meaning, no higher power. They just enjoy planting the flag. Life feeds on life.

Thinking of having a faction on the ship that disagrees with this concept, and they send out literal books that give Earth a heads up and helps them ramp up their technology to compete. Hell, I was thinking of making it not a secret. Like it was democratically decided to give us a heads up to make it “fair” ish.

Most of this is all in my head, I am also trying to conceptualize an alien species that isn’t too earth like, but not unbelievably alien. Like if one were to tweak genetics for war. Like thick keratin shell that would stop normal bullets and blade except in weak spots. Redundant organs, air passages that can’t easily be blocked.

But like a tank or plane of theirs would be like a tank or plane of ours (not running on anti gravity or shooting lasers), only out classed in every way. Like a horse cavalry vs a Panzer division. Or a F-16 vs a Zero. Actually lasers would be a thing, but more of an entrenched weapon.

2 Likes

The CEOs are on board, literally.

2 Likes

Thanks, sounds plausible and very interesting, The Selfish Gene and all that.

People that think the nature is efficient and well designed don’t seem to have noticed the number of seeds that a tree can produce every year.

Discovery is less about finding out whether what we imagine is possible and more about bumping into what we never imagined.

Okay, but in all seriousness, why should anyone believe the claims of someone who doesn’t want to be asked questions?

I mean no offense, but that’s incorrect. The speed of light is the speed of cause and effect. Quantum entangled systems cannot violate it. That doesn’t necessarily preclude superluminal travel by other means, but quantum entanglement is not an example of a violation of the constant c.

Those hyperspace bypasses aren’t gonna build themselves. Or maybe they will.

1 Like

I’d read that.

1 Like

I’ve done quite a lot of reading about quantum physics over the years, and no, I am not a physicist. But your summary shutting down of possible FTL communication between particles as being a possible explanation of “spooky action at a distance” simply doesn’t jive with what I’ve read. Again, as I said, another explanation is nonlocality, which I think is just another perspective on essentially the same thing. shrug

Really my intention was not to distract from the conversation about UFOs, which is in my opinion a (mostly?) separate conversation from the one about black project aircraft of a decidedly more terrestrial origin.

Back in college (2nd half of 1990s) I was in touch with a guy who I believe worked for a military testing range, who sent me a document from the company Norjen (I think this firm: http://www.norjenprecision.co.uk/) showing a photograph of several people around a radio cross section model of an aircraft that looked essentially identical to the mockup that was posted here.

The depiction from this thread is also validated by many other reports of the SR-71 successor that I have come across, and generally believe. This is why I stated “it’s real” which was of course IMHO, based on the above.

Good enough of an explanation for you? I haven’t flown in one, if that’s what you thought I was implying. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am a physicist, and quantum mechanics is my field. I don’t expect you to believe me just because I say it’s so - that would be bad science - but it is. The short answer is that the results are random, and random noise cannot convey information or causality (which is all information is).

FTL can’t be ruled out in general, but it can be for entanglement.

No implication. I asked without agenda. Thank you for answering.

1 Like

I did not say that we are capable of sending information FTL – why you keep reading this into my statement, I’m not sure. I said that AN interpretation of QM is that FTL “communication” between particles may be occurring, and for christ’s sakes, the main point of the statement was really to emphasize that to argue we know everything about physics, is utterly ridiculous, and kind of lame – especially how we can’t even work out a theory that combines relativity and QM. But I guess you have it all figured out, eh? Looking forward to hearing about your Nobel! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I didn’t and never would say that.

Let’s please remain amicable towards one another.

Extremely unlikely. One of the hardest realizations in my career has been than I’m a capable but not exceptional scientist.

Also, the possibility of FTL is very interesting to me. I suspect the best possible candidate that the Standard Model might permit is non-timelike wormholes, which appear to obey causality and don’t locally violate the speed of light. They do appear to violate the average null energy condition, but there’s some reason to think the ANEC is not inviolable and may even have been violated in the first instants of the universe.

1 Like

Why even invade why not just stop off for a nice picnic?

If the aliens have technology that is leaps and bounds ahead of us could they even be understood? Would they understand us?

4 Likes

Stanisław Lem got a lot of mileage out the conceit that understanding may be next to impossible even if they’re less advance than us.

2 Likes

My favorite pet theory about this development is that if Aliens have been visiting us all this time, but never made contact, that intelligent life must be so common that making contact doesn’t have much novelty.

1 Like

The problem with that is, there’s a lot of “potential evidence” that not only they have been making contact, but that there is a long history of a relationship between these entities, and humanity. Despite the fact that the mainstream pitch-man for this idea is a bit of an idiot, and has weird hair.