Allligator pursues laser pointer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/04/allligator-pursues-laser-point.html

9 Likes

I’d pay to see that band.

10 Likes

15 Likes

Super cute. But also… (and I’m sorry to be that person) please leave wildlife alone unless you’re trained to work with them. This seems harmless, but lots of things that seem harmless can really fuck up an animal’s day.

9 Likes

My aquarium recently exploded with duck weed. Now I know I just need a baby gator and laser pointer and it’ll get a belly full of it out the tank

6 Likes

Thanks 2020, you’ve made Gators Daily, the #1 gator influencer, a perfectly fine and banal thing.

6 Likes

Rule of thumb everyone should live by, Don’t mess with giant prehistoric monsters which predated dinosaurs who have rows and rows of sharp teeth.

11 Likes

They’re so cute in the bottoms of canals though.

4 Likes

I concur. It’s very cute, but my very inexpert understanding is that alligators eat about once a week and slowly digest their food. I’d worry about the laser activating the gator’s digestive process when it doesn’t actually have something to eat, and that one looks small, so may not be full grow. It’ll probably be fine - they wouldn’t have survived tens of millions of years if one unsuccessful hunt was a crisis - but I’m guessing this is more hunt than play.

4 Likes

Also, there’s a reasonable risk of zapping it in the eyes. Unlikely to be long exposure and it might be a low power laser, but blinding it would be a bad thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.