Alternate use for cast iron pan

Originally published at: Alternate use for cast iron pan | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Brilliant.

I looked at a mid-century modern (gorgeous time capsule!) house in an utterly shit neighborhood (that I wished I could teleport out of there), and the former owner had set up cord and pullies with old window weights to auto-close the giant sliding doors that filled the entire wall of the pitched-roof living room. And being the awesome old-school quality they were, those doors glided like glass on their rollers and closed with a solid thump.

And yes, that is terrazzo throughout. :sniff:

12 Likes

22 Likes

Cast iron rules.

1] it’s a great weapon
2] you cook with it
3] it listens when you need a friend
4] see #1

18 Likes

I actually cracked my Lodge cast iron skillet. I was preheating it on the stove getting ready to sear a steak and heard a loud “POP”. The damn thing nearly split in half.

Never in my life would I have thought that possible.

13 Likes

Whoa. I’ve heard of old pans cracking due to imperfections in the manufacturing process, but nothing from Lodge.

According to a cursory search… “There is not a written warranty for Lodge Cast Iron Cookware, however, Lodge does stand behind every product manufactured. For product problems, please contact Customer Service and we will solve the problem to your satisfaction.”

6 Likes

I sent a cracked pan back to Lodge, they replaced it. I’m still wowing over that.

9 Likes

Came here for a cartoon example; was not disappointed

Hopefully nothing to do with @euansmith’s example nor your “see #1” above?

7 Likes

Mine was the handle, I was tempted to just use a grinder to even out the rough spot, but I sent it back, and they sent me a new one.

SCORE!

6 Likes

STOP PRESS!
*** American re-invents the Lich-gate. ***

Wikipedia doesn’t mention it, but Lich-gates traditionally used a weight (though not a cast iron skillet) to act as a gate-closer.

3 Likes

15 Likes

We have a set of pans (4, 6, 8 & 10”) that are old enough you can’t read the names through the built-up crust, though one still has a clear “W”. I’d estimate that at least two get used per day and they have been dropped dozens of times each. Mrs Peas managed to shatter the glass front of the oven with one, Young Mrs Peas just melted a plastic spatula onto one, and of course, they’re absent-mindedly left over an open flame regularly, but none of them have broken yet. They’re shockingly durable.

@Otherbrother: “Panshot!”

I loved that film.

5 Likes

I wonder if they have a manufacturing problem. I bought a dutch oven from Lodge last year, ordered direct from Lodge, and when it finally arrived (pandemic induced delays), the handle on the cover was cracked. Lodge was great, though. They sent me the larger dutch oven free of charge because they were out of stock of the one I had ordered. And the one with the cracked handle is perfectly usable, so I got two dutch ovens for the price of one.

3 Likes

10 Likes

ya beat me to it : )

4 Likes

I’ve seen cast iron crushed up and mixed with other ingredients in a crucible to make Wootz :slight_smile:

(so add that to the list of uses!)

4 Likes

When I wake up at night with a cramp in my leg I hobble into the kitchen and throw some cast iron on the stove. The heat through my jammies is just right and it stays warm just long enough.

4 Likes

Your description put me in mind of “The Testing of Eric Olthwaite”, where the protagonist bemoans that Spear & Jackson Spade snapping off right where the wooden handle goes in to the metal bit.

3 Likes

Similar:

xena gabrielle with frying pan 500 opti

13 Likes

Old homes that are properly cared for are a joy. The house I’m in… not so much. There’s a list.

6 Likes