Amazing video compiles a decade’s worth of the most spectacular Phoenician haboobs

Originally published at: Amazing video compiles a decade's worth of the most spectacular Phoenician haboobs | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Strangely beautiful/tranquil video of something which looks pretty terrifying. Thankee.

Always wanted a brief “So you’re about to be over-taken by a haboob” guide. For instance, if one were to fashion a dust mask (hey, i still have an N95 in my pocket) out of a t-shirt you’d be… ok?through a haboob? That is, you wouldn’t end up buried or blinded, would you?

1 Like

Until I clicked this thread, I had no idea what a “Phoenician haboob” is. If you’d asked me, I would have guessed either a traditional Lebanonian garment, or a dish of Levantine cuisine.

3 Likes

I’m no haboob expert but it sounds an awful lot like a sandblaster. I’d want something covering my skin and eyes in addition to my breath-holes.

1 Like

Went through one of these in El Paso a few years back. At once beautiful and terrifying.

An amazing video indeed, or for anyone who’s lived through one, an excellent reminder of why living in a desert can be a real pain in place you’d rather not have irritated. I’ve hiked in southwest deserts during a couple of these, and the dust gets everywhere – in your mouth, in your eyes, inside your clothes, in your food. I also note a few relatives, including dad, bought houses as snowbird nests down there, only to sell them within a year – too much casual vandalism and theft (robbers stole all the hvac compressor units from dad’s neighborhood once,) and too arid for comfort for those used to living in the lake districts of Wisconsin or on a literal island on the East Coast.
Beautiful sunsets, thought, and watching a cloud of yellowish-orange dust bear down on you as it funnels through an arroyo faster than you can run is truly terrific in every sense of the word.

1 Like

Well. I certainty need to work on my assumptions, then.

Oblinski’s YouTube channel is pretty great; I especially like the time lapse series ‘Vorticity’ which sets amazing 4K storm and tornado footage to music

I was definitely gonna pick the cuisine one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.