Amazon welcomes delivery drivers who smoke weed

“Nobody wants wake and bake then jump into the car.”

Those (and desperate enough to need to work for Amazon) are the ones who will apply. The ones unwilling or unable to turn to at 5:00 am will take care of themselves.

Nonetheless, I wonder about DOT jurisdiction over driver jobs. If strictly local, perhaps there is no concern. If interstate, more than likely. My occupation (merchant marine) is both interstate and international, so ship crew are subjected to random drug testing. You learn to take nothing for granted.

1 Like

Yeah I used to hold a CDL and there is a different standard. So where blowing a .06 wont get Jane white wine a trip to jail any alcohol at all will fucker your living as a commercial driver. .But IIRC that is for like passenger and anything over 26K GVW and tractor trailers. Not sure what the deal would be for zipping around in a sprinter. Class A maybe?
Nonetheless my key thesis is that testing for weed is flawed as you can get positives long after the effects wore off and so long as it is legal who are they to tell you what todo when you are off the clock.

6 Likes

The “problem” is that booze can only be detected for a reasonable and short time. Weed testing can see for weeks.

4 Likes

From personal experience, it also depends on how much you ingest, and how much you exercise/purge from your system. I smoked at home, with bongs, the entire time I was working at the package delivery company I mentioned above. Never on the job.
However, I was also an avid bicyclist, and rode so much that I always passed the drug tests they threw at me.

3 Likes

Having driven after smoking weed during my youth, my first thought was, “well, there goes next day delivery!” :joy:
Not because it makes you stupid, but me and my friends always ended up driving so slow if we smoked. We’d feel like we were cruising along on the back roads then look at the speedometer and see we were gliding around at least 15 mph under posted limits.

5 Likes

bbc series 25 GIF by Top Gear

I remember some comedian pointing out that people who smoke instead of drinking would rather stay home and order pizza than go out and drive around.

2 Likes

I knew some guys in high school who were pulled over by a state trooper while driving on I-5. Trooper did ask them how fast they were driving. Their second guess was higher than their first. Trooper kept asking until their guesses drew down low enough. Very stoned.

2 Likes

Sad. You always just tell the cop “I believe I was going a safe speed in these conditions.”

Cops are allowed to lie to you, and you can lie right back to them.

5 Likes

This was posted as CO was debating a THC cutoff for blood testing, using some bogus “science” to back a limit wiih no connection to impairment.

A friend of mine stopped smoking for five months, got four haircuts in that span–and they still found THC-COOH in his hair follicle.

1 Like

Quite. However that was back in the late 1970s, car was full of obviously middle-class white boys, so they go off with only a warning. Not like they were speeding, you know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.