Amazon's Jeff Bezos proclaims support for Black Lives Matter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/amazons-jeff-bezos-proclaims.html

8 Likes

I’ll believe it when he starts treating his non-headquarters employees and contractors as if their lives matter.

35 Likes

tenor

Shut the thread, kids, everything after this is bullshit.

22 Likes

49 Likes

Maybe they should stop selling facial recognition software to the cops, then.

Especially when that software has a bias for mis-identifying black people more than white people, but in general because it’s a shitty dystopian panopticon hellscape thing to do.

34 Likes
11 Likes

Corporate opportunism, only that and nothing more…

21 Likes

Totally agree but maybe it might be a turning point. When the corps have to turn up the appearance of sympathy it means that’s the best business decison. The marriage equality fight started to really turn when the corps decided they were going to support same sex marriage.

This, however, is awesome and not a corporate greed thing

13 Likes

The fact that he is responding to items being sold by his site make this disingenuous. How about banning straight up Nazi audiobooks being sold by Audible? Then we’d be talking. His email is just plain virtue signalling.

10 Likes

Look at Jeff Bezos growing a spine all of a sudden.

2 Likes

Apparently there is a fire in an Amazon distribution center in Los Angeles and a whole bunch of redditors are mourning their shipments of liquid oxygen and LiPo batteries.

7 Likes

Looks to me more like somebody is worried about the guillotines.

12 Likes

Not holding my breath for this turning into meaningful action, but I did like the rational response to the “all lives matter” dope. I can just imagine those people in the women’s suffrage era.

Suffragette: Women should have the right to vote!
Old-Timey Dope: Women? What about men?!
Suffragette: What? But you already-
Old-Timey Dope: HELP! MEN ARE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST!

17 Likes

Some of his best friends are verterbrates.

3 Likes

They were 3 for 2 with free delivery if he trialled Amazon Spine.

3 Likes

They treat their headquarters employees pretty shitty, too.

5 Likes

And he’s sworn to dedicate .0005% of his net worth to the cause, right? Right? Anyone? No? Hm.

9 Likes

he’s still working on his first trillion, can’t let up now

3 Likes

odd that amazon doesn’t stock them, isn’t it?

1 Like

Doesn’t he have enough money to single-handedly fund slavery reparations? He could keep a billion for himself - you know, to pay for food and shelter. I guarantee you he doesn’t actually give a ****.

8 Likes