Amazon-owned Whole Foods cracked down on staff wearing 'Black Lives Matter' apparel, class-action lawsuit claims

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/21/amazon-owned-whole-foods-crack.html

2 Likes

But don’t let that affect your decision to buy a new power washer from the Amazon link.

10 Likes

Contrast that with New Seasons Market, which has a big Black Lives Matter sign out front…

5 Likes

“It’s a family statement”.

Reminds me of when I was in the hospital last year and someone noticed my name and said "we’re brothers’. He had the same first name, and his last name had “Black” as the prefix. But I think it was him who raised his fist at some earlier point (when I was in a muddled state) and he wasn’t even moving me somewhere at that time. He was Black.

Wonder how this is gonna play on Black Friday.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Whole Foods was evil long before Amazon bought it

7 Likes

Relatedly, I found it a little jarring that comments were immediately closed on that post, preventing the community from sharing power washing tips and hilarious experiences. :wink:

@frauenfelder

3 Likes

Yet another reason to patronize your local food co-op, if you live near one.

5 Likes

I, too, really wanted to get into a thread discussing power-washing and returned later to check that they hadn’t reopened comments. Alas.

2 Likes

It would have made for some great Maker cross-posts with the bidet ads…

4 Likes

Notice this:

Versus this:

Whole Foods is being very precise because they know that if they claim nothing happened, they’re in worse trouble. This is basically them admitting these things happened, but it’s all fine because they didn’t fire anyone.

Problem is that this thinking is shared by too many people. “Suck it up and be grateful you have a job in this economy.” It’s part of the same union-busting, anti-labour mindwashing that has been going on for almost half a century. And too often, since the jobs are low status but the services considered essential, the labour doesn’t have the power to fight back, so the companies get away with it.

7 Likes

Agree with your post, but this has been going on for well over a century

4 Likes

Agreed, but I’m guessing a good deal of the US population doesn’t. Farmer’s markets are also good alternatives and those are probably a bit more accessible.

But even going to a different grocery store that doesn’t treat their employees like trash is a better idea.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.