Ambien maker Sanofi responds to Roseanne, who blamed drug for racist tweets

i see what you did there . . .

and i like it!

10 Likes

and asked for people not to boycott ABC, saying that the network has the right to “do what they wish.

so nice of her to grant them democracy

7 Likes

Why, yes, it does!

4 Likes

To the extent that we are forced to consider tweets as an actual form of communication, it’s probably good policy to use the original source when available. To the extent that we consider BB an actual form of journalism, I suppose.

2 Likes

I’m sure there are a lot of very good people who catch themselves thinking not very good things. And I’m sure some of those people have actually let those things slip, and felt awful (as they should). And of course, filters drop when you’re under the influence. If you were, for example, brought up in a place where people openly espoused horrible viewpoints, you might have to fight hard against that stuff, even knowing it’s wrong.

What we have here, though, is a woman who’s said awful things, has been getting more awful over time, thought she was invulnerable, and finally went to far for people to ignore.

6 Likes

Drug use might be a reason for unacceptable behavior, but it’s not an excuse for it. Nobody put a gun to this woman’s head and ordered her to take a substance that would make her say the offensive things that were already inside her head.

I’m going to say something that will surely get me roflstomped by the circlejerk…

… but everyone is a little racist.

It’s human nature, and to pretend it isn’t only makes the problem worse. Like all irrational emotions that surface, it’s what we choose to do about it that counts.

Take anger, for example. It might lead to violent thoughts, but most people choose restraint. Some don’t, and they often get into trouble for it.

Racism is something that should be taken in the same vein. Identify your fear and take positive steps to address it. Otherwise, you’ll end up like Roseanne.

4 Likes

Makes sense that a giant pharmaceutical company would be adept at “sick burns”

3 Likes

Valid point. I would only add one doesn’t have to be perfect, to be part of the solution.

4 Likes

Exactly! And there is a current attitude amongst them that says that they are being forced to be “politically correct”, and silenced (violating their 1st Amendment rights) by libs, who tell them their statements are racist. They want to express their racism, never be called on it, and ultimately to be rewarded for speaking their mind. It’s dickish to the extreme.

8 Likes

Time to share my favorite recipe from The Ambien Cookbook:

Licorice Surprise

Ingredients:
1 black extension cord
1 wall outlet
5 mg. Ambien

Plug extension cord into wall socket near bed.

Plug other end of extension cord into clock radio on nightstand.

Take Ambien, fall asleep.

Sleep 3-4 hours.

Roll out of bed, wake up on floor.

See extension cord, think, What a big delicious licorice rope that is!

Chew on essentially flavorless cord until you get to the metallic center, where the surprise is.

Source (blog post)

Original article (paywall)

Updates: italicized and capitalized “the” to form The Ambien Cookbook; added link to original New Yorker article.

2 Likes

Does Sanofi make salves for nasty burns?

2 Likes

Following this I’ll make an effort to buy at least one of their products. I suppose it could always be good to have some Maaloxan tablets lying around?

Yeah, That Rosanne, she sure was off base with her remarks, or maybe not? What do you make of the content?

The whole thing makes her look like a real piece of shit. Why soften the blow with a screenshot?

Well, this way I don’t actually have to go to Twitter. And if I clicked on the link it would tell me that there was a problem and that I’ll have to reload Twitter and that would bug me for a second time.

1 Like

*sighs

Metaphorical “stomping” aside:

No, they’re not.

It is fair to say that everyone is somewhat biased, and everyone forms erroneous preconceived notions based upon their personal bias.

Anyone can be prejudiced or bigoted.

However, racism is a system; a covert institution of oppression, exploitation, marginalization and denigration of one group of people by another, based solely on the belief of racial superiority. Racism takes power, both monetary and political, and the average person doesn’t have much of either.

Lastly, racism is the power to define another group’s reality, and to compel that group to accept that reality as “factual” and inescapable.

I don’t know about you, but I have no such power over anyone else.

14 Likes

Sanofi? Fifth largest pharma company in the world, that helped spread HIV and aggressively markets date-rape drugs like Ambien? Perhaps emblematic of all that is wrong with the industry?

Not defending Roseanne at all - simply objecting to any praise directed towards Ambien or Sanofi. Don’t assume they are virtuous because you believe Ms. Barr is not.

3 Likes

And then get their fair share of sex.

1 Like