AMC's fall from grace

Yeah, Criterion is amazing. At this point I don’t have enough kid-free time on my hands to justify it, but once I do I plan on going through the entire catalog.

6 Likes

It was basically “Three Days of the Condor” - the series. As a fan of that 1970s Redford film, I really loved Rubicon.

1 Like

They were told to. They were getting too close to the truth.

4 Likes

Have you checked Kanopy? We get a credit each month from the public library.
I’m not huge into classic films, but the selection in that genre seems much bigger than Netflix or Amazon…

9 Likes

I’m a big fan of TCM - seems like a refined version of early AMC to me. TCM Underground and especially Noir Alley are required weekly viewing for me.

3 Likes
1 Like

I never saw the first season, but saw the rest and we dug it. It was quirky and endearing. Not a blockbuster, but held enough character drama interest beyond just being a re-run of non-silicon valley computer history (and by history, I mean speculative fiction, which is what ALL written history is).

1 Like

I was thirteen-enough that the guarantee of a single topless shot/scene made Dream On a must-watch. But I think Larry Sanders was really really good if not great (but I was too young and dumb to totally understand until later).

I saw Mad Men as it aired and not since, but I want to say in spite of using occasional societal/time-based tropes it had good drama with good actors. You can’t go wrong.

2 Likes

Agreed. The Shield is STILL one of my favorite shows ever, but Mad Men and Breaking Bad’s quality put AMC on another level. FX could turn a “trashy premise” into excellent television, whereas AMC took sterling premises and executed them flawlessly.

I do think FX as a network has been more consistent, though.

5 Likes

The fall was when Chrysler bought them out. I always liked the Eagle 4WD Wagon, and the Fuego looked cool. But neither car stood the test of time. Jeep? eh, meh. I suppose people liked them. The Gremlin and Pacer are iconic tho.

7 Likes

There was no way a movie theater chain was going to make it through the pandemic unscathed, not to mention the disruption that streaming services have brought to the industry.

4 Likes

I am so confused

There are a lot of things that use the acronym AMC. I wasn’t sure which they were talking about when I first clicked on the link.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the poor man’s Baracuda the Javelin.

3 Likes

HCF was interesting from the character perspective, but historically it was a complete mess and obviously created by people too young to remember the times, which ruined it for me. The show had C64s with “C:>” prompts as the creators thought all old computers ran MS-DOS.

1 Like

If only the Pacer would have had a fuel efficient engine…

6zbkNkb

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.