America divided into states with the population of California

I was thinking the same thing about Philly.

For too long several Southern states have gotten away with the defense of “At least we’re not Mississippi.” Now they’re part of the Hell they’ve helped create.

The downside is Appallachia, Greater Virginia, and, let’s face it, even parts of Windy are still able to get away with “At least we’re not Hell.”

3 Likes

*Appalachia

1 Like

Ahem. This Florida Man is not amused.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
–Mark Twain

7 Likes

@beschizza

Call it Lesser Virginia and I’m in. While I feel a little sorry for my friends in Hell, they can’t complain. At least they don’t live in Texacona with me.

3 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks!

1 Like

I think the Republicans might be agreeable to this split.

1 Like

As a resident of Greater Virginia, I can tell you that we will decide every election, AND we contain the nation’s capitol. We may not actually be the most important state, but I bet we’ll be treated that way.

On the other hand, Libertariargh contains most of our nuclear arsenal. So they got that going for them, which is nice.

4 Likes

Someday we in Appallachia will make you feel the brunt of our ire. Most probably with traffic, but still, feel it you shall.

6 Likes

But of course to American ones, corporations are people, my friend.
I think it’s more like ‘corporations are the only people that matter’

2 Likes

How about “Corn-o-topia?”

5 Likes

Isn’t that a new healthy, whole-grain cereal?

3 Likes

I don´t know why “Hell” made me laugh so hard.

4 Likes

Am European and very, very, very left. Can confirm. :slight_smile:

Lol Hell!! Wait a minute…I live there!!

1 Like

22 Likes

And this does illustrate a rather powerful problem in America, viz. do states mean anything? Because it’s built with the premise that they absolutely do and that Arizonans and Oregonians (to pick two at random) have different interests, outlooks &c and, so, deserve to have their interests protected. In other words, is America a more tightly integrated EU?

Or, are states basically archaic territory divisions that have no real purpose anymore, and are they to be replaced by a individual-centric system.

I’ve listened to a lot of Americans over the years and I’ve noted that they tend to have (a) very strong and (b) opposing viewpoints on this. I find this quite interesting.

2 Likes

And of course, you can add Canada to the map without changing its borders at all, since we’re already about the same population as California.

4 Likes

Yes. Ex: What do Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have in common, other than both being in Pennsylvania? Nothing.

Probably never.

2 Likes

Always loved that quote.

1 Like