America divided into states with the population of California

I know, it’s in Michigan!

1 Like

And I wasted my time reading “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” (okay, I was 12!), and “Valley of the Dolls”. And anything about sex.

oh yeah, and Marvel (mostly) comics

2 Likes

I didn’t read Atlas Shrugged when I was 14. Is that why I bounced off it when I read it later, or was it because I was a Bennite Labour supporter in my early to mid teens (and that was about as right wing as I ever got)?

2 Likes

Yes, as I said. Very strong opinions.

re: Hell

Well, that explains a few things…

3 Likes

There are days where it feels like Alaska should be lumped with Texicona.

(For the record, it wasn’t me that brought all the Texans up here. Why couldn’t they move to Iowa?)

2 Likes

It’s more that the way congress is formed is archaic and our census system sucks, and don’t get me started on state legislatures.

2 Likes

While it’s always helpful to look at any issue from multiple, even cartographic, viewpoints (see any true size world map which elucidates the historic privileging of the Northern Hemisphere), images which swath geographic areas as hell only encourage “otherization.” It’s funny, it’s pithy, it makes those outside hell feel better about their own circumstances. It doesn’t encourage true dialogue. Unfortunate or otherwise, we United States are in this mess together, at least until someone fires the next shot from Fort Sumter. For full disclosure, I’m a tiny blue dot in a really red state, but dammit, my friend Frannie is leading a charge to the Alabama State Legislature. She’s meeting with these assholes and organizing grass roots campaigns to gather us blue dots into a bigger smudge.

We in hell are not other. We are not a lost cause. The disenfranchised in hell are the most at risk and I, for one, refuse to abandon them to the brimstone.

7 Likes

That’s a bit too close to Panem for my liking.

5 Likes

“Libertariargh” can suck my sweaty balls. I prefer the EnGlands map.

Left-libertarian is probably the default state for most Europeans who consider themselves libertarian.

I’ve updated my political identity to “liberty-loving social-democratic-republican… guillotines and all.” I hope the confusion I cause is worth it.

Definitely they would. I see 4 red states, 2 blue, and 2 in between…

I get that this isn’t an official map, but…

Seriously? Canada has dissolved as a political entity, and yet the north border of District 7 is still good ol’ 49? No creep at all?

2 Likes

About 15 miles as the crow flies from where I sit!

1 Like

Nobody moves to Iowa, silly. Not on purpose, at any rate.

2 Likes

It was the best I could find on short notice. It’s also been a long while since I read the books (which were great - especially for YA novels).

Oh, I’m fine with it not being voluntary.

Well, that’s not very charitable to the people already stuck in Iowa. The Texas people simply need to be relocated back to Texas. That’s what we should be building a wall around. Keep 'em in.

You raise a fair point, and I do feel for the people of Iowa, but I already got them more than halfway there from Alaska, and I’ve basically run out of funds.

I find your lack of faith in puns appalling.

3 Likes