America should have two time-zones

Because it’s a heavily agricultural state. Natural things – plants and animals – don’t function according to clocks. Cows do not magically start waking up an hour later to be milked, for example.

If you live and work by the sun, then it doesn’t matter what time stupid human clocks call it. But if anything, having the sun come up at 6:15 AM instead of 5:15 ought to be a blessing. Seriously: FIVE FIFTEEN IN THE DAMN MORNING is when the sun used to rise. Between not having to deal with that plus the bonus of summer afternoons that last until almost ten, the farmers can bite me.

Besides, other states depend more on agriculture and I don’t hear them bitching about DST.

[quote=“tknarr, post:24, topic:13340”]
Except that “call me at 3:00” won’t mean that. Because what you really mean is “call me in the middle of my workday afternoon”, which will not be at 3:00 for one of you.
[/quote]Nope. Call me at 3:00 using a universal time would mean call me at 3:00. It couldn’t mean anything else. What you’re doing during that time might be different. It doesn’t need to change your sleeping habits, just the name we call that hour.

If someone asks you to call at 3:00 and that’s when you’re usually sleeping, you just suggest a different time. The intent isn’t to align the work day, just eliminate confusion introduced by everyone referring to a particular hour by a different number.

Many people on the other side of the globe keep different hours but so do those who get up before everyone else to bake bread. Sleep schedules don’t need to be on a grid, I prefer to work after most other people are sleeping and I think many people have natural sleep cycles that fall outside daylight hours.

1 Like

Ha ha! Yeah, Swatch Internet Time. It actually makes a lot of sense, like the US switching to metric, probably a better idea but the transition would be a pain in the ass. Let’s just wait until the singularity so we can apply it as a patch rather than going through the meatspace transition.

2 Likes

Big business are the biggest whiners of all. Where their own whining isn’t sufficient, they spend billions of dollars to have professional whiners do so on their behalf. They whine so effectively and pervasively, that it’s not even called whining when they do it, instead it’s lobbying.

3 Likes

Even better, we need to get off this stupid dirunal kick, and collectively embrace nocturnalism. Curse the infernal daystar!

1 Like

Then you have some clue what the freeways are like during rush hour(s). Not as bad as some major cities, but much worse than most due to the longer commutes. Let’s see - what could make that worse and more dangerous?

Oh yeah. Making everyone do rush hour in the dark. But she’s not acting all entitle or anything, right?
Man - talk about your First World Problems…

toyg - then obviously, you are working the wrong projects, and should instead be developing tasty and profitable cross-platform libraries designed to solve it, right?

What I’ve been meaning to ask: why the hell do people think that DST “gives” them more daylight time in the afternoon and should therefore apply year-round? Just stay on regular and do everything one hour earlier, the result will be the same! Is it some intolerable cruelty to work 8-4 instead of 9-5 (as long as everything and everyone is aligned to those hours)?

I say we keep Daylight Saving Time, except do away with the ‘spring forward’ part… who wants to lose an hour of sleep? That’s nonsense. Make BOTH of them ‘fall back’ (well, one would be 'spring back)!

Genius, right?

Yes, I know what you’re thinking… it’ll add up fast, and soon we’re all expected to get up in the middle of the night and sleep all day.

Good, I say! It’ll give us more variety in our lives. People living in polar regions have to deal with eternal sunlight or darkness for months at a time. You saying we’re not as tough as them? Let’s raise a generation of kids who always went to school under the stars, instead of the sun! It’ll encourage us to make our nighttime streets safer!

2 Likes

Then maybe people from Indiana are more willing to stand up for themselves.

Every farmer I know, at least several people in the extended family are working day jobs to support the farm. At least 2 generations are working the farm (usually 3). The kids have to fit in school as well. Being a farmer doesn’t mean you’re only on natural time…you have to live in the industrialized world too.

So sorry the sun doesn’t rise on your schedule. Must be a bummer.

She undermines her own argument:

I spent the last three years commuting between New York and Austin, living on both Eastern and Central time. I found that in Austin, everyone did things at the same times they do them in New York, despite the difference in time zone. People got to work at 8 am instead of 9 am, restaurants were packed at 6 pm instead of 7 pm, and even the TV schedule was an hour earlier. But for the last three years I lived in a state of constant confusion, I rarely knew the time and was perpetually an hour late or early.

So even though according to her, both cities are effectively functioning on the same time zone (which I dispute, speaking as a resident of one of the two), her sense of time was always off. I don’t think that rejiggering our time zones is going to help her.

2 Likes

If Texas has to have the same time as New York the we will become a Republic again.

In one big system I developed it the native time functions caused me such difficulty that I resorted to storing time as an integer. 8.5 meant 8:30am. Sounds crude, but it worked quite well in practice. (Fortunately I didn’t have to deal with time zones on that one.)

Which proposed solution would result in me not having to wake up before dawn to be at work by 8:30am? Because that’s that one that any right-thinking person would support.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Given the time I left on Friday morning, the traffic was pretty heavy even in the dark early hours. I wouldn’t live in LA for any amount of money.

In anything I build that doesn’t require more precision that quarter hours, I always make the time options only 00, 15, 30 and 45. I’ve noticed my sister-in-law’s microwave dial does the same, as well as an increasing number of android apps (can;t speak to apple…) Long live the fractional hour, down with the minute. I’ve bullied my whole office into a 24 hour clock as well, because really, what’s the correlation between 2am and 2pm? Why the weird nonsensical and arbitrary symmetry.

Glad I’m not the only one who gets bugged by that.

24 hour clock sounds entirely reasonable to me as well. But then again, so does the metric system, and who knows when we USians might be able to reliably use that.

1 Like

The squeaky wheel gets the earmark

What if NY had the same time as Texas? Would the soothe the huge egos involved?

bryan - It’s been a while since I had to do anything with time, but last time I did so, I just used GMT as the internal standard and let the user’s box determine local time. That one was easy, as it was only a single platform app. However, now Python does it, MSDN covers it, and stackoverflow.com claims to have java libraries for this. That’s code you swipe or buy, not code you write. It’s supposed to be ‘write once, read many’, or the developer’s version - ‘standardize once…write many’.

Ignatius - I chose to leave after many years there. Not because of the commutes (though not a bad reason, either), but because CA became so overpopulated and burdened with so much excess regulation you couldn’t draw a breath with getting a permit first. Others who left were shocked when people in their new communities thought they were nuts for living a whole 15 miles away from town with nearly no traffic. Locals just accept it as normal, but thousands of newbs leave every time there’s a large quake. It’s just…not for everybody. It’s like NYC that way - it’s convinced it’s the true center of the entire Universe and the rest of the world is populated by irrelevant hicks, lol. Welcome back to Hickville.