Florida lawmakers just approved to keep Daylight Saving Time all year long

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/08/florida-lawmakers-just-approve.html

5 Likes

It’s been a while, but Florida did a smart thing.

Come on rest of the country, it’s time.

19 Likes

Welcome to the thing Central and Mountain time have lived with forever - times are only ever announced for the coasts.

On the plus side, the late show is much more enjoyable at 10 instead of 11.

2 Likes

[Insert animated gif of Bugs Bunny nailing Florida back onto the continental United States]

12 Likes

What am I missing here, and how is this not totally bass ackwards? If you don’t like the twice-yearly time changes then you do away with Daylight Savings Time, you don’t embrace it all year 'round.

14 Likes

Why do you want the antiquated time changes that we have? This is good thing!

1 Like

You like changing your clock every year for no real good reason?

This is the first time in a while that Fla did the right thing.

What difference does it make which time they choose, as long as it doesn’t change? I would have picked the DST too for the later sunset year round.

8 Likes

That’s not what I said. If you don’t like Daylight Savings Time, then you get rid of it and stay on Standard Time.

7 Likes

Why does it matter if they choose one or the other? I don’t give a rats a**. Let’s just end this stupid time change nonsense.

5 Likes

That’s why I’m saying Florida should be re-attached.

2 Likes

LOL. sorry, long day at work - misread what you wrote. Apologies

4 Likes

One of many problems with DST is that it makes localized areas different than their globally recognized time zones. Time Zones were adopted so that we didn’t have to deal with the idiocy of “railroad time” anymore, where the time was set according to the rising sun, and every town was different (think of those old news programs, where there are up a bunch of clocks on the wall, all showing different times).

8 Likes

I can hear the screaming in Redmond from here. I genuinely do not envy the people for whom “don’t roll your own DateTime code” is not an option.

16 Likes

The railroads created the times zones to standardize times. As long as the time is based on Greenwich Mean, then who cares whether a large state chooses to not change their time twice a year?

4 Likes

NOO THIS IS THE WRONG WAY standard time year round or nothin’!

8 Likes

you like 5:00 p.m. (or earlier in the far north) sunsets?

5 Likes

“Nukes will hit at 5pm EST.”

“No, wait!!! Correction: 6pm FST!!!”

“Wait, we are confused!!! How long do we have left to live? An hour or two hours?”

6 Likes

You get 5pm sunsets in the winter anyway. It can only go up from there…

2 Likes

It doesn’t, not really.

Obligs:

28 Likes