Florida lawmakers just approved to keep Daylight Saving Time all year long

If daylight savings time were in effect all year the sunsets would be later. That horrible “fall back” every year obliterates daytime for anyone who works.

6 Likes

I’m not a fan of the idea of 8am sunrises in the dead middle of winter.

3 Likes

I don’t care what the sun does or does not do while I sleep.

6 Likes

Who cares as long as it’s consistent? Business hours can vary from place to place as appropriate.

9 Likes

Us civilized working stiffs prefer departing for work in the morning, not the dead of night.

5 Likes

We shouldn’t be working 8 hours every day, anyways. It should be 5 or 6. With a living wage. Our capitalist lifestyle cuts the heart out of every single weekday. And it’s even worse in winter when there is precious little sunlight. I used to work in a windowless basement, for years. That’s when I realized how stupid the world is.

23 Likes

Normal time is currently only used from November-early March. The other 7+ months are on DST. In terms of convenience, it is better to have more light in the evening (when people are out and about outside) than more light in the wee hours of the morning (when people are either asleep or just getting up and not yet out and about).

7 Likes

I like the idea of ditching the clock-changing nonsense but it’s kind of amusing that this bill apparently purports to “protect” sunshine.

”Won’t somebody think of the photons!”

21 Likes

I agree and that’s what I originally said-- it doesn’t matter which time is picked, as long as you pick one and stick to it. However, given a choice, I pick the later sunset. That’s just my inner Florida Man.

6 Likes

So it’s unanimous? Thomas Jefferson was a moron? I wonder if it occurred to anybody to find out why we have DST, or if they just assumed that, like irrational numbers and the measles, God made some mistakes setting things up and appreciates our little corrections?

EDIT: Oops, Ben Franklin.

1 Like

Living in a place where non-DST winter means the sun is down in the morning and the evening, I’d personally rather have daylight to do things after work.

The fact that I have to drive into the sunrise to get to the office may or may not be coloring my opinion.

7 Likes

One thing for me – and granted, this is highly particular – I have to let the birds out before work. If there’s still 2 hours of night left when I leave for work, that’s 2 hours where my chickens are at increased risk of getting killed by vermin.

1 Like
3 Likes

My understanding is that at one point, fuel use during dark waking hours was considerably higher than during daylight. By moving daylight hours around you could effectively save fuel by obviating the need for heating and light. On the other hand, nowadays energy use during daylight hours is similar to (or higher) than during darkness, especially during the summer, due to air conditioning. Not to mention that the time change itself is associated with serious morbidity (e.g., car accidents and heart attack rates are higher right after spring forward).

3 Likes

Hold on…So you are telling me in the same week that Florida chose to both end daylight savings time AND enact smarter gun laws?!

IN THE SAME WEEK!?!?!??!

6 Likes

yup, Florida

1 Like

I can’t speak for why Florida wants to standardize on EDT (Atlantic Time) rather than EST, but when this sort of bill comes to my state, I hope we do the same thing.

I live at about 71 degrees West. An hour is only 15 degrees wide. I’m fully 12 degrees further west from Florida’s center of mass (Brooksville). If we don’t wind up on Atlantic time, and Florida does, I’ll be pissed.

2 Likes

Fuck, that’s a triple negative, now what do I do?

10 Likes

This may matter more to you if you live on the eastern edge of the time zone. 4:30 PM and pitch dark is Boston’s winter solstice. But now I live near DC and I HATE that I have to get up, walk my dog and get to work in the dark all winter. And now, approaching the equinox, when there is enough daylight in the AM for me to enjoy, we change to DST and I get another two weeks in the dark. It’s even worse on the western edges of the time zone. In Lansing Michigan, they will have to wait until nearly 8am for the sunrise after DST begins. Why don’t we just move the clock 30 minutes (as a compromise) and then never touch it again?

2 Likes

You have to love any posting that references Popular Mechanics. Lots of fond memories from my childhood looking through the piles of old issues of Pop Mech and Pop Sci that my dad kept in the basement.

content

3 Likes