Florida lawmakers just approved to keep Daylight Saving Time all year long

Let me recap: “Now is not the time to talk about gun control… Oh look over there! A quick chat with a barber! No more DST!” At the snap of a frickin’ finger.

2 Likes

It’s always nice when you can cross a date line by heading directly north or south.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to find the actual law without success, but when I first heard about this on NPR, they stated that after Indiana’s debates over DST, a federal law was passed preventing states from simply doing away with DST. They can adopt it year-round, but they can’t eliminate it.

We’re dealing with this here in Massachusetts, where a state commission voted to do away with it, but found they weren’t allowed to; the state is now exploring whether it can change time zones to have the same effect as eliminating DST.

5 Likes

I wonder if a state could just go to DST for one minute (or one second) early in the wee hours of June 21st every year.

I wonder what sort of weird loophole that would create allowing some clever criminal to to pull one over on the People.

1 Like

Looks like the answer for Florida is to use Atlantic Standard Time (AST) to match Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands that don’t follow DST.

2 Likes

I was glad when I saw the headline, because I hate the twice-yearly clock changes. But most of the support, both here and in the linked Tampa Bay Times, article, cites light or darkness at particular times of day. Those optimizations are why we change the clocks.

I’d like to stop changing the clocks. I accept the consequent marginal darkening. Many of you are confused.

2 Likes

I think you mean to say that states can adopt standard time year-round. Like Arizona did.

2 Likes

I’m sure the tz database people have dealt with worse. For example, while it is mostly true that Arizona doesn’t observe DST, the Navajo Nation does.

4 Likes

Welcome to my world.

okay sure
and no, that’s not what I meant
but I don’t really care

1 Like

I think Florida just passed a gun control law…I don’t know if (state!) senator Greg Steubu voted for or against the other law though. Then again I don’ know if this bill had been in the works for a while or not either.

1 Like

What a coincidence! I don’t really care, either!

One standard has

• NOON when the sun is closest the zenith, and

• MIDNIGHT halfway between sunset and sunrise

The other does not.

Legislators can’t make the sun set later. What they’re doing is changing what the clock says. What YOU’RE doing is going to work earlier in the morning and leaving work earlier in the afternoon. People can do that without fucking with the clocks, or making them permanently wrong.

7 Likes

Yes, one move passed, a small step upping the buying age to 21. Two other moves did not pass. The one that passed, the governor has been silent on whether he was going to sign it. On the other hand, the DST vote passed in no time, with flying colours.

2 Likes

It’s Daylight Saving Time. Saving. Not Savings.

/pedant

(And I wish more places would jump on abolishing Standard time. Winter is especially shitty in my state with it getting dark at fucking 4PM.)

9 Likes

You could, like, go to work earlier.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Under the ‘Sunshine Protection Act’ (SPA for short obviously), every sun in the state will receive extensive firearms training and subsidies for buying its own high powered firearm for protectin’ dat good shine of ours.

3 Likes

The reason Arizona is not on DST is simple (besides the hassle, expense, and deaths associated with clock-diddling): the very last thing anyone wants in AZ is more time in the blistering afternoons between going home and when the sun mercifully sets. Paying for it by spending the only decent part of the day (around dawn) either preparing to go to work, driving, or at work – now that is obscene.

Things aren’t quite so awful where I am now (New Mexico) but it’s still crazy to perform perverse rituals on all of your (by now numerous) timepieces twice a year.

3 Likes